FA Cup: Pagham take Lordswood to a replay

The Lions will have to try again on Tuesday night at Nyetimber Lane after they were unable to break down Lordswood in their FA Cup preliminary-round tie.

The home side had five defenders out, but even so the Lions still could have won this tie - as they’d done two years ago in the same competition.

With James Ford missing, Paul Jones moved into the starting line-up for Pagham, who were otherwise unchanged from the squad who had beaten Chichester City 2-0 in midweek.

Lordswood had lost 3-0 in midweek themselves and dominated the early stages, although Scott Murfin did have a shot over the bar for the Lions.

Andy Smallpiece kept the visitors in the game with some brave keeping, picking up a touch of concussion for his efforts.

The Lions began to press forward as the half progressed, Joe Briggs shooting wide, and luckily for Lordswood a rebound off Scott Murfin was collected by the keeper.

Neil Murfin set Howard Neighbour on a run but his shot was charged down. The last action of the first half saw a Lordswood shot go sailing over Smallpiece’s bar.

The home side started the second half better. Two goalscoring opportunities in the first five minutes set out their stall for the half.

Pagham had other ideas, with both Briggs and Scott Murfin having strikes on goal. Callum Cutler and James Temple came on for Pagham as boss John Price looked to shake up the attack.

A good move involving Joe Booker, Joe Briggs and Neighbour almost got the first of the game, while Temple was unlucky to be judged offside.

A booking for the Lions on 72 minutes saw Paul Jones collect a yellow card for scything down an opponent. The resulting free-kick went over the bar.

As the game degenerated into a series of free-kicks, Pagham’s best chance came as Temple was hacked down when running in on goal. The dead ball was smashed against Lordswood’s defensive wall.

Temple’s shot was taken by the Lordswood keeper but it was hearts-in-mouths time with two minutes to go as Smallpiece juggled a corner, but the inrushing striker headed wide of the target.

There was just time for Briggs to shoot over the bar before the whistle went on a game which deserved to end goalless.

The replay is at Nyetimber Lane on Tuesday evening.

PAGHAM: Smallpiece, Killner, Buckland, Pearce, Booker, Jones, Briggs, N Murfin, Neighbour, S Murfin (Temple 60), Cox (Cutler 58). Subs: Hawker, Binfield, Hallett, Williams.