Bosham and Sidlesham are goal happy

Kieran Hartley is moving on from Bosham
Kieran Hartley is moving on from Bosham

There were big home wins for Bosham and the Sids this week - but there was sadness in the air at Walton Lane too.

Bosham 5 Burgess Hill & Hurst Albion 1

Sussex League division three

Kieran Hartley bid a fond farewell to Walton Lane with his final outing for the Reds in a resounding win to complete a league double over Hurst.

Hartley – set to sign for a local Sussex League top-flight team – signed off with a goal as the Robins moved back up to second place in the table, just a point behind leaders Langney Wanderers.

Bosham were in front after just five minutes when Matt Docherty gave them the perfect start as they bounce back from their demise in the cup.

The Blues did their best to try to find a way back into the tie and the likes of Oliver Lambert and Ed Bartram asked probing questions of the Robins defence but Graeme Dowden, Ricky Mullen and Docherty were in no mood to let them past.

Just after the half-hour, Marco Giambelardini showed his class to finish – leaving keeper James Mckemey frustrated between the sticks. Hartley and Dave Storey tested Mckemey but the Hurst keeper kpet them out.

Ten minutes into the second half, Bosham further extended their advantage through substitute Jake Lafferty, whose assured finish virtually ended the match as a contest.

Hartley grabbed a goal on the hour before Chris Grant stroked in a spot-kick to pull one back. Late on Storey curled in a superb goal from 30 yards that flew in off the post with Mckemey well beaten to add the gloss to the result.

BOSHAM: Hasted, Mullen, Dowden, Bryant, Edgington, Docherty, Storey, Barnes, Hartley, Giambelardini, Lancaster. Subs: Redman, Joe Hancock, Wilson, Lafferty.


Sidlesham 6 Billingshurst 0

Sussex League division three

Sidlesham closed the gap at the top of the table with a rout of Billingshurst.

Into the squad came youngster Alex Perce, Steve Williams and fit-again Dan Cowell and Sidlesham went straight on the front foot.

The deadlock was broke on 15 minutes as Dean Reed released Tom Kelly wide on the right, Kelly drove to the byline and fired in a low hard cross, Dan Bassil was waiting for a tap-in at the back post but a Billingshurst defender steered it into his own net.

Sids constant pressure was always going to slow down and when it did Billingshurst slowly began to ask questions of their own. Billingshurst rained crosses in on the Sidlesham area, but the back four held firm and keeper John Pope was never really tested.

On 43 minutes, Sids extended their lead when a long through-ball by captain Andy Carrigher found Bassil, who hit the ball on the half volley giving the keeper no chance.

Sids started the second as they did the first and within five minutes Bassil had his second of the game. A through-ball by Joe Leggat put Bassil one on one with the keeper as the keeper rushed out Bassil rounded him and tucked the ball into an empty net.

Tom Bayley replaced the impressive Reed and with his first touch he played a pass to John Phillips – and with his second he volleyed low and hard into the bottom corner.

Joe Jefkins and Alex Pearce replaced striker Bassil and Tom Jefkins and on 75 minutes Bayley teed up Kelly, who fired in from 20 yards for his tenth goal of the campaign.

With ten minutes to go another driving run and cross from Bayley set up MoM Danny Millins at the back post to fire home for his first of the season.

This convincing performance sees Sids rise to fourth in the league.

Sids travel to Clymping this week.

SIDS: Pope, Grantham, Carrigher, Cowell, Leggatt, T Jefkins (Pearce), Phillips, Millins, Reed (Bayley), Bassil (J Jefkins), Kelly.