Bosham back on track - but it’s two dropped points

Following the semi-final victory against Worthing Town, Bosham under-18s got back to league duties with a 2-2 draw at Southwater.

Just before the half-hour, a through-ball led to Tim Callen challenging for the ball with the keeper. It ran loose and Charlie Hawes was there to slot in from ten yards.

Bosham gained in confidence but could not add to their tally before the break.

In the second half Southwater started to create more and 15 minutes in, Southwater drew level when a free-kick was delivered into the Bosham box and their skipper James Johnson got a slight touch that carried the ball into the bottom corner past keeper Fewell. With 20 minutes to go, Southwater took the lead when a forward converted from 12 yards.

Bosham reacted well and were awarded a free-kick that skipper James Johnson took. It found Charlie Hawes in the Southwater box and he laid it to Tyler Todd, who equalised.

A late chance fell to Jack Antony but his shot was blocked.

Bosham’s star man was Aaron Domblides.

Bosham felt it was two points dropped but they are still in with a chance of top spot.

BOSHAM: Callum Fewell, Aaron Domblides, Stuart Andrews, Phil Merrick, Billy Brown, Rob Hayler, Tim Callen, James Johnson, Jack Antony, Tyler Todd, Charlie Hawes, Will Burch, Adil Rahman, James Adams, Justin d’Agar.

Sussex FA 3 Surrey FA 0

The Sussex FA’s under-18s won their first league game of 2012 at Lancing to cement their position at the top of the South East Counties League.

It saw the return of two influential players to the starting line-up - Josh Clack (Worthing), who was featured in the Observer last week after his England Colleges call-up, and Tom Bold (Burgess Hill).

Sussex shaded possession in the first half and had about eight attempts at goal before Clack picked the ball up from the centre circle and weaved his way through the Surrey midfield and defence before slotting home past the advancing keeper on the 40-minute mark.

Sussex were giving the ball away too many times and the half-time team talk was about better quality in possession and using the width of the pitch.

Sussex started the second half the brighter of the two teams and Matt Daniel (Whitehawk) was introduced to give a physical presence up front.

Ryan Fergany (Lewes) created a nice angle at the near post to fire past the keeper.

Sussex began to tire and started to become stretched and Matt Cruttwell (Whitehawk) pulled off some great saves to keep a clean sheet.

On 75 minutes Daniel got on to the end of a threaded ball and blasted home from close range.

Bob Bantock, Sussex manager, said: “We gave the ball away too many times and had to work doubly hard to regain possession.

“However, we took our chances and kept a clean sheet, so overall I was pleased with the result.

“We are away to the Royal Navy (Portsmouth) on February 12, which will be a competitive game.”