Bosham bounce towards title ... Point well made for Lavant

Neil Redman stretching for the ball for Bosham inside the Cowfold box  Picture by Kate Shemilt C140349-1
Neil Redman stretching for the ball for Bosham inside the Cowfold box Picture by Kate Shemilt C140349-1

A big win for Bosham has taken them a step nearer the West Sussex premier-division title. Here’s the report plus news of Lavant, Nyetimber Pirates, Wheatsheaf and Chapel.

Bosham 5 Cowfold 1

Premier division

A terrific second-half display and a double from Kieran Hartley saw off a determined effort from Cowfold to set the Reds firmly on their way towards the title.

Bosham thwarted early threats from the likes of Dan Smith and Mark Passfield, and with Nick Edgington restored to the back line and Bradley Miles back after injury, Bosham looked assured on the ball.

However they were rocked after ten minutes when the Blues did get their noses in front. Ben Tucker was given too much space wide on the right and his cross saw Smith rose powerfully to head past Simon Hasted.

The Robins began to show more aggression and Neil Redman went close.

After half-time a 15-minute masterclass from Bosham turned the match on its head.

Hartley was cynically upended in the box and got up and slotted home from 12 yards. Then Hartley streaked down the rightand fed Ryan Lancaster, who turned and volleyed home.

Dave Storey was next to get his name on the scoresheet after a lovely through-ball from Matt Docherty.

Worse was to follow for Cowfold - last season’s champions - as Hartley finished well after robbing Passfield.

In the final minutes, Miles added a fifth.

Cowfold are all but out of contention for the title and with West Chiltington dropping points at Lavant, things look great for the Robins.

Upper Beeding are next up.

Bosham: Hasted, Blanshard, Edgington, Miles, Hartley, Redman, Storey, Mullen, Lancaster, Probee, Docherty. Subs: Fewell, Jack Hancock, Moore.

Lavant 1 West Chiltington 1

Premier div

Lavant came away with a deserved share of the spoils.

With lessons learnt from a recent loss to the same side, Lavant had a change in system and personnel but still got off to a disastrous start.

Within the first minute, indecision from left-back Jon Wright allowed the West Chilt winger to steel in and lay on an easy finish from their No9 with marker Matt Lyttle poorly positioned.

Lavant could have fallen further behind but finally settled and started to move the ball around, with wingers Tom Haslam and Aaron Hancock causing their full-backs trouble.

Ten minutes from half-time, a glorious switch of play from Lyttle picked out Neville, who controlled and fired home with style.

The secnd half started with Lavant dictating the play and dominating possession. Efforts from James Sandford, Mike Neville and Hancock failing to break through.

With the whistle looming, a free-kick was awarded 20 yards out which captain Sandford hit against the underside of the bar with the keeper beaten and the onrushing Lavant players unable to capitalise on the rebound.

LAVANT: Sanson, Gabb, Lyttle, Purgavie, Wright, Houghton, Brooks, Hancock, Neville, Haslam, Sandford. Subs: Richards, Holmes, Grace.

Forest 1 Pirates 2

Sussex Junior Cup semi-final

James Fallick’s second-half winner was enough to earn the Pirates a place in the junior cup final as they came from behind to beat Forest.

The Looters were slight favourites after their 21-game winning streak but that wasn’t obvious from the start.

Forest dominated early on and were one up on 27 minutes when the Pirates backline were caught out by a long ball, with the quick striker just outpacing Matt Carter to slot home with relative ease.

Nyetimber had chances to draw level, Andy Cox and Fallick coming close.

Pirates were level just before the break after a clever through-ball from Fallick allowed Paul Frangou to smash home from the edge of the area.

Pirates came out stronger in the second half, with a slightly changed formation.

Their winner came on the 58th minute after a long ball from carter was flicked on to Fallick, who tucked it away with ease.

There were big celebrations at the end and the final will take place at Lancing on April 8 (7.30pm).

Felpham Colts 1 Wheatsheaf 7

Div 5 South

Wheatsheaf were without leading scorers Woolston and Boxall but produced a fine performance to take the points.

Club captain Matt Parker played at centre back and was man of the match, and last week’s hero in goal Leach was centre-forward.

In his first start of the season, team manager Jon Wickenden opened the scoring with his head after meeting a cross from Stuart Mercer. The second followed when Damien Leach was sent clear and slotted home.

Felpham hit back to make it 2-1 at the break.

Wheatsheaf started the second half with more purpose and a through-ball found Leach, who was brought down. Ryan Mercer held his nerve from the spot.

It was 4-1 when Mercer’s unstoppable effort flew past the Felpham keeper and the fifth came as a cross into the box by Wickenden found the far corner.

Wickenden completed his hat-trick after good work by Mercer and Jay Golds and the scoring was completed by Owen Cozens.

West Chiltington Res 0 Chaapel 4

Division five central

Chapel retained their hopes of winning the title by beating promotion rivals West Chiltington.

Previously-unbeaten West Chiltington had no answer to Chapel’s pace and the league’s top scorer Aaron Carver twice broke clear to put the visitors 2-0 up at half-time.

The home side threatened briefly at the start of the second half but Tom Townsend in the visitors’ goal didn’t have a serious shot to stop.

On 65 minutes full-back Ben Kaighin raided down the right and, with the home defence backing off, continued his run into the box and tucked in the third.

In injury time Jordan Warren played a long through ball and four players, including the home keeper, converged on the ball and it bobbled between them all and rolled gently into the net for 4-0.

Chapel’s unbeaten run is now 12 games, stretching back to October 5.