Bosham buoyant ... Pirates purring ... Chapel’s prayers answered

Action between Nyetimber Pirates and Wittering Reserves  Picture by Louise Adams C131439-1
Action between Nyetimber Pirates and Wittering Reserves Picture by Louise Adams C131439-1

THIS week’s West Sussex League round-up brings news of wins for Bosham, Nyetimber Pirates and Chapel.

Holbrook 1 Bosham 4

West Sussex League premier division

A fine performance by Matt Moore helped Bosham get back to winning ways after the demise at Faygate.

The first opportunity fell the Reds’ way when Kieran Hartley robbed Yellows keeper Neil Wenham wide right and swung the ball into the danger area.

Adam Brett was first to the ball but put his effort over the bar rather than into the empty net.

With Holbrook struggling to keep them at bay, Bosham took the lead after only nine minutes following a great move, with Hartley again involved. His intelligent ball over the top caught the defence napping and Moore hit a sweet half-volley into the top corner to open his account in superb style.

Bosham were in total control. Tom Davies found the side netting having got through on goal and, shortly after the half-hour, Hartley let fly from long distance and smashed an effort against the bar with Wenham well beaten.

In between, Holbrook finally got an effort on target with Dan Mason bringing a decent save from Simon Hasted.

Just before the interval, Bosham had another great chance to extend their lead when Brett was put through by Graeme Dowden but saw his shot saved expertly by Wenham to keep the Yellows in the game.

It didn’t take Bosham long to extend their lead after the break - on the hour, Hartley hit another rocket from long distance, and this time it flew into the top corner with Wenham rooted to the spot.

Matt Docherty tried his luck but the bar was his enemy on this occasion and a later effort met the same fate.

Hartley grabbed a second from the spot after substitute Kieran Carter was lazily upended in the area by Tommy Di Martino, adding further misery to Holbrook’s beleaguered team.

Their efforts were rewarded when the Reds’ defence had a moment to forget. Di Martino floated the perfect ball to the back post from a free-kick and Paul Clifford stole in unchecked to poke the ball home to give the Yellows a late sniff.

Ricky Mullen headed a deserved fourth for the Reds in injury time to set the seal on a very encouraging result for Tony Hancock’s troops.

BOSHAM: Hasted, Mullen, Brett, Probee, Blanshard, Jack Hancock, Docherty, Moore, Hartley, Davies, Dowden. Sub: Carter.


Nyetimber Pirates 4 Wittering Reserves 1

Division two south

Andy Cox continued his fine form in front of goal with a double in Pirates’ victory over local rivals Wittering Reserves - their seventh straight win in all competitions.

Cox has now scored in six consecutive games giving him eight for the season. His first goal came on 23 minutes after Paul Frangou’s perfectly-weighted corner found the winger at the near post and he gave the Wittering keeper no chance.

Pirates were soon two up through Pasterfield, who actually broke the net with his powerful finish after some superb play from midfield opened up the Wittering back four, allowing him to smash home.

Wittering pulled one back shortly after half-time after an uncharacteristic mix-up at the back gave the oncoming striker an easy chance which he converted, giving them hope of a comeback.

Then Wittering started to pile on the pressure and they could have equalised on 55 minutes, but the curling effort went just wide.

Nyetimber responded with Cox’s second of the game putting them 3-1 ahead after the impressive Anders Wyatt’s cheeky nutmeg and cross found him at the far post and his spectacular volley gave the keeper no chance.

The win was sealed on 80 minutes by substitute Michael Frangou, who headed home from ten yards out on his return to the side after injury.

This win put the Pirates top of the league for the first time this season, with the first day-defeat to Stedham now a distant memory.

Pirates face Fittleworth this week as they bid to continue their impressive winning streak.

NYETIMBER: Pye, Williamson, Gill, Dobbs, Bann, Wyatt, A Cox, Pasterfield, Towers, P Frangou, Turner, M Frangou, Dant, Dowsett.

Chapel 5 Fittleworth Res 1

Div five central

After a slow and fairly even start, Chapel broke the deadlock on 35 minutes through Chris Jones - and a second from Ben Mariner a minute later sent the home side in at half-time 2-0 up.

The second half saw Chapel on top but Fittleworth scored next in the 74th minute.

Aaron Carver put Chapel 3-1 up and then Fittleworth had a man sent off. The last ten minutes were spent almost entirely in the Fittleworth area and, despite heroic defending by the ten men, Carver and Mariner each added a second.

Wheatsheaf 6 Lodsworth Res 0

Division 5 Cup

Wheatsheaf continued the good form that had seen them win four in a row, scoring an impressive 22 goals, before this game.

Early chances were missed but the breakthrough came after good play by Woolston out wide. He delivered a pinpoint cross to Damien Leach, who made no mistake.

Woolston found the net with a fine first touch and finish to make it two at the interval.

The second half was an improvement. Jay Golds came on and, with his first touch, coolly lobbed the keeper which killed off any hopes Lodsworth had.

The move of the game saw a nice build-up from the back find Parker free on the right. Rather than shoot, he passed to Ryan Mercer, who sidefooted the ball in from the edge of the box.

Woolston bagged two more to complete his fourth consecutive hat-trick and take his personal tally to 17 in six games.