Dan’s desperate equaliser saves day for Selsey

Conor Cody celebrates with his Selsey team-mates after scoring versus Horsham YMCA  Picture by Chris Hatton
Conor Cody celebrates with his Selsey team-mates after scoring versus Horsham YMCA Picture by Chris Hatton

They say it is a funny old game and a 3-3 Sussex League division-one draw between Selsey and Horsham YMCA at the High Street Ground result confirmed it.

With only 13 minutes left and leading 3-1, the visitors must have thought the game was done and dusted - but Selsey scored twice in the latter stages and get a draw that had looked beyond them.

Horsham were the better side and were more than comfortable until the Blues’ late show.

Hyett and Williams were a constant threat to the home side and Selsey struggled to contain their movement up front.

From a Mason cross in the 11th minute, Williams could have put Horsham in front but his shot lacked direction.

Selsey tried to get their passing game going but too often they saw passes go astray. They were dealt a blow when Ross Woolf had to be stretchered off after falling awkwardly and he was replaced by Matt Wood.

Against the run of play, Selsey took the lead in the 24th minute when Ryan Morey skipped past defender O’Carroll and delivered a pass to the far post, where Conor Cody fired past Williams.

Within five minutes, Dan Hegarty was gifted a chance to increase the lead after Williams’ clearance fell to him 25 yards out. His first-time effort towards an empty net seemed to be going in only for Williams to atone for his error and claw the shot to safety.

In the 29th minute Horsham were level. A needless pull on Hyett’s shirt in the box by Mark Lee was spotted by the referee and Williams converted the penalty. Horsham were controlling the game but two more defensive errors allowed them to go 3-1 up. First, Jack Williamson and Lee got into a tangle when Williamson’s intended pass to Ollie Haggar struck the centre-half and fell to Hyett, who slotted past Joyce. Within three minutes Hyett struck again as his run was not tracked by Cody and he once again left Joyce stranded.

The second half started with Selsey struggling to get any cohesion into their play. Around the hour, Selsey boss Adam Hinshelwood brought on his remaining two subs, Tom Broadbent and Marc Hinshelwood.

Broadbent was pushed up front alongside Barney Covill and a change in formation made for a more attacking style and at last Selsey put some pressure on their visitors.

Horsham let the home side back into things in the 77th minute when a clumsy challenge by Hartt on Haggar saw the referee award another penalty. Cody stepped up and sent Williams the wrong way to set up a nervy finish for Horsham.

It looked like they had hung onto their second win of the week only for Hegarty to snatch an equaliser when he squeezed his shot inside the near post in the 91st minute.

Selsey kept working and managed to gain a point from a game when they really did not deserve anything at all. They have now lost only once in six games.

Hinshelwood said: “A few of the lads had off-days and we must learn to defend better. We gifted them all three goals but

I’m pleased we continued to push forward and never gave up. Hegarty’s equaliser meant we picked up a share of the spoils when possibly we didn’t deserve it.”

SELSEY: Joyce, Haggar, Bingham, Williamson, Cody, Lee, Morey (M Hinshelwood), Hegarty, Woolf (Wood), Britton (Broadbent), Covill.