Double delight for Chichester ... double despair for Selsey

Selsey and East Preston do battle at the High St Ground    Picture by Chris Hatton
Selsey and East Preston do battle at the High St Ground Picture by Chris Hatton

There were contrasting fortunes for Chichester City and Selsey in the latest Sussex League action.

Eastbourne United 1 Chichester City 2

Sussex League division one

CHICHESTER claimed a notable scalp when they defeated last year’s FA Vase semi-finalists Eastbourne United 2-1 at Princes Park Oval.

City fell behind within the first five minutes when a Wes Tate through-ball found Charlie Osborne, whose perfectly-timed run enabled him to strike the back of the net.

Eastbourne had much of the play but failed to build on their solitary goal, and they were made to pay for it after the break.

Two goals in the space of six minutes turned the game around and handed City the advantage. First, Dan Hegarty was left unmarked and despatched the ball past keeper Russell Tanner and soon afterwards the lively Alex Ansa slipped round the opposing defence to slide in what proved the winner.

Eastbourne almost grabbed a last-gasp equaliser during added time when City’s Anthony Ender failed to deal with a cross, but defender Ben Buckland was on hand to clear Kele Buay’s shot off the goal-line.

CITY: Ender, Ayres, Gilbert, Boniface, Hegarty, Ansa, Smith, Pearce, Groom, Gromett, Bush. Subs: Case, Buckland, Boulton.

Chichester returned to Eastbourne Utd in midweek in the Peter Bentley Cup and won 2-0 thanks to goals by Morgan Forry and Tom Groom.

City are at home to Hassocks in the league on Saturday.

Selsey 1 East Preston 4

Sussex League division one

SELSEY are still in search of their first victory of the campaign after a reversal against defending league champions East Preston.

The Blues were missing regular keeper Ryan Chard with outfield player Kieran Gilbert taking over between the posts.

There was almost a surprise goal for the hosts on 17 minutes when Danny Harrington escaped down the left wing and tried an audacious lob that Rui Buckland just managed to tip over the bar.

Then, after the Selsey defence had cleared a corner on 34 minutes, EP took the lead with Darren Boswell sending in a well-drilled shot from the edge of the box.

The same player struck again ten minutes later when his tight cross-shot hit the keeper and ended up in the net.

Eleven minutes into the second half, Selsey pulled one back when a free-kick wasn’t dealt with and Dean Platt struck from close range.

However, the former Sidlesham player received his marching orders later, receiving two yellows in quick succession during a short, heated spell of the contest.

From then on Selsey faced an uphill task and EP added two further goals, Dave Herbert striking from an unmarked position at the far post and sub Michael Death rounding off the fourth goal six minutes from time.

SELSEY: Gilbert, Lintott, Courtman, Gunstone, C Thompson, M Thompson, C Correll, Parsons, Jenkins, Platt, Harrington. Subs: J Kilhams, S Kilhams, Cleall.


Selsey’s season hit a new low point in midweek when they lost 9-1 at Loxwood in the RUR Cup.

Selsey go to Eastbourne Town for a league game this weekend.