Eleven’s the magic number for Wittering

editorial image

We have action featuring Wittering United and Lavant in our latest digest from the West Sussex League and its cup competitions.

Wittering U 2 Orington 0

Sussex Junior Cup fourth round

Wittering continued their impressive unbeaten run against their visitors from St Leonards.

The hosts were on the back foot for the first 15 minutes as the away side came flying out of the blocks. In a swirling wind the Wittering back line held out impressively against the early pressure.

Wittering’s injury problems increased as livewire Alan Sheppard limped off after a heavy challenge, Jamie Smith coming on in his place.

Tom Jefkins thought he’d given the Warriors the lead on the half-hour mark, running on to a through ball and slotting in before having the strike ruled out by a late signal from the linesman.

The second half required more of the same from Wittering, who were confident they would get their rewards.

All over the pitch they were first to everything and it seemed only a matter of time until the pressure would pay.

On the hour, Wittering finally broke the deadlock, Jefkins being sent clear and making no mistake, firing the ball firmly in for his second goal in two games.

Wittering made their second substitution shortly afterwards, Joe Jefkins making way for Dave Kennard.

Jimmy Kewell almost broke his duck after cutting in from the left and firing in a fine shot which clipped the bar.

With five minutes to go, the Warriors’ passage to the quarter-finals was secured, Darran Cox getting on the end of a Tom Kelly cross to head past the goalkeeper and make sure of Wittering’s 11th successive win.

Man of the match was Barry McCoy for another outstanding performance as a makeshift centre-back.

WITTERING: Rochester, Green, O’Brennan, McCoy, Oakes, Sheppard (Smith), T Jefkins, Kewell, J Jefkins (Kennard), D Cox, Kelly. Sub: B Cox.

Lavant 2 Barns Green

Division one

Lavant dropped two valuable points in their poorest performance of the season.

The home side started well with good football in possession but failed to pressurise as well as in previous games.

Dave Knight set up midfielder James Brooks to open the scoring for them after 12 minutes.

Striker Ryan Seacombe set up Mike Bartley to double Lavant’s lead on 38 minutes.

But as team concentration lapsed, when Matt Lyttle lost the ball in midfield, Jack Pesteridue’s deep cross from the right found Sam Liley on the left and he controlled and finished well to put the visitors back in it on the stroke of half-time.

In the second period, apart from two great saves by keeper Jason Dumbrill from Seacombe and Bartley, all the pressure came from Barns Green.

It looked as if the home side were going to grind out a win but in the last seconds, defender and captain Jon Bacon came up for a visitors’ long throw-in and fired home the equaliser.

Lavant manager David Parker said: “When at the top, every game is a cup final.

“We didn’t play well but Barns Green deserved their draw with a fine battling performance in the second half.”

LAVANT: Sanson; Coe, Purgavie, Wright, Lyttle; Weller, Brooks, Stevens, Bartley; Seacombe, Knight. Subs: Loversidge, Neville.