Fantastic Felpham lift the Invitation Cup

editorial image

Arriving in style by team coach for their Invitation Cup final against Worthing Utd Youth at Arundel FC and playing in front of a large crowd, Felpham Colts under-nines knew this was going to be a tight game.

The Colts had two good early chances with Harry Geall and Luke Hubbard unable to force the ball home. Geall was causing the Worthing defence problems but good defending kept him out. Worthing went close with a header from a corner but Fraser Partridge and Max Searle kept it tight at the back.

Sam Blunt started to pass the ball around and captain fantastic Lewis Walker was running the midfield.

For the second half Josh Mines replaced Sam Blunt and the Colts looked more confident.

Geall raced through but couldn’t get his shot away and then from a Luke Hubbard free-kick, his deft flick just cleared the bar.

With five minutes to go, Walker hit a beauty which the keeper parried and Hubbard smashed the rebound high into the net. There were amazing scenes as the whole team engulfed the scorer.

Within two minutes, after Walker had been fouled, Hubbard stepped up and curled a peach of a 20-yard shot into the top corner to make it 2-0.

The remaining subs came on and Rhys Nicholas, Elvis Millen, Luke Dent, Oliver Payne, Cian Markie and Daniel Kearns all played their part in keeping Worthing out for the remaining minutes.

Man of the match was Hubbard.

Getting promoted and winning the cup means this Colts team have had an amazing first competitive season. A celebration lunch was laid on by the Felpham Club pub for the team and parents.

A big thank-you went to parents and supporters for their season’s backing.

FELPHAM: Cogger, Searle, Partridge, Walker, Mines, Kearns, Hubbard, Nicholas, Millen, Dent, Payne, Markie, Geall, Blunt.


Pagham Youth 0 Chichester City Youth 2

This was the proverbial game of two halves as the sides fought out an entertaining derby encounter.

Pagham were the better side in the first half, while Chichester City asserted their authority in the second. Pagham failed to take their chances during the earlier part of the game while Chichester capitalised on the few opportunities they had later.

Pagham played good passing football early on and would have gone in ahead at half-time had Rory Wood, Jack Barnes and Conor Game taken their chances.

Chichester gained control of midfield and put Pagham under increasing pressure that resulted in Chichester putting away two fine strikes by Joe Grommett and skipper Jonno Tallent.

Pagham had further chances through Barnes, Charlie Chalaye and Charlie Richardson, who also stopped Grommet from adding another with a great last-ditch tackle towards the end.

PAGHAM: Carter, Strachan, Gosbee, Hurford, Taunton, Poole, Barnes, Game, Wood, W Richardson,

C Richardson, Chalaye.