GALLERY: Midhurst and Wick share Sussex League points

Midhurst made it eight games unbeaten after drawing 3-3 against second-placed Wick but will feel they should have taken all three points from a Sussex League division-two thriller.

Midhurst had to make two changes to the team that beat Seaford, bringing in Gary Norgate for Mark Broughton and Kevin White for Scott Towers (injured).

Goalmouth action from the Midhurst-Wick and Barnham game   Picture by Kate Shmilt C150339-2

Goalmouth action from the Midhurst-Wick and Barnham game Picture by Kate Shmilt C150339-2

Wick visited the Rotherfield hoping to continue their promotion push but in the first half it was the Stags who looked like the second-placed team.

Looking solid defensively, they handled Wicks long ball game and were bright and quick on the counter attack. Chances came and went for Hamilton and Dreckman who both found the keeper after well-worked moves.

Ten minutes before half-time the Stags were deservedly rewarded for their performance as Loz Hyde smashed in a rebound from

eight yards following a corner by Lewis Hamilton.

The Stags deserved a second in the closing minutes of the half but found the Wick keeper too good to beat.

The second half started with the Stags dictating play.

Both the Hamilton brothers had early half chances but nothing came of these. – and this proved costly.

With Norgate off the pitch injured, Wick were able to find a gap in the the Midhurst defence. A neat one two with Wicks forwards aloud them to equalise.

In no time the Stags were 2-1 and then 3-1 down. An own goal by the Stags youngster in between the sticks gave Wick the lead and it was even more agony when Harper made it 3-1.

At the start of the season this would have been game over but the Stags have a real grit and determination about them to grind out results as well as winning pretty.

Maybe Wick slowed their tempo down thinking the game was won, but Midhurst rallied and on 75 minutes following another corner from Lewis Hamilton, and waiting at the front post was Mason to head home.

It was now all Midhurst and soon enough it was 3-3.

Following a foul on Turner 18 yards out, Lewis Hamilton smashed home a beauty of a free-kick.

With Midhurst looking to win the game time soon elapsed.

This was two points surely dropped for Midhurst but the unbeaten run goes on.

MIDHURST: Cowell, Stevens, White, Hyde, Norgate, Glue, Mason, Dummer, L Hamilton, M Hamilton, Deeckman. Subs: Castleton, Turner, Newton.