Injury horror at Midhurst ... Sids are a man down - and out

Midhurst’s game was abandoned because of a serious injury - while Sidlesham found themselves down to ten men even before they’d set off for their cup tie.

Midhurst 0 Uckfield 1 (abandoned)

Sussex League division two

This game was abandoned midway through the second half after Uckfield’s Jacob Adlam suffered a nasty neck injury.

Midhurst’s management are finding it hard to field a settled side but some recent games have shown promising performances.

The opening period was mainly played in the visitors’ part of the field and the small gathering of home supporters were sensing a goal or two. But it’s almost a regular feature of Midhurst’s play that just when things look to be turning in their favour they seem to lose the plot.

So it proved here as the visitors’ Steve Major was on hand to convert a pass from Damon Pollard.

This setback could have upset Midhurst’s style but they applied themselves and with the defence tightened by team captain Gary Norgate moving to a more central role, things looked promising.

But after 70 minutes, the game was stopped when Adlam suffered a neck injury which necessitated an ambulance being called.

The referee allowed a reasonable period of time for any possible on-field treatment but abandoned the game when it was obvious the game could not be completed before it was too dark.

This week the first team host Saltdean (2pm). The reserves, who lost 4-1 at Loxwood last weekend, are away to Clymping.


Hollington 2 Sidlesham 0

Sussex Intermediate Cup R3

The Sids were dealt a blow even before they set off on the two-hour journey to the far side of the county when they were left with only ten men as players pulled out at the last minute leaving them no time to bring in replacements.

Before the start, team manager Tom Evans felt the boys were really up for the game and the Sids took the game to Hollington and began to put their defence under constant pressure.

The Sids had some good chances to grab the lead but luck was not on their side and half-time came with the Sids’ ten men unlucky not to be ahead.

The second half saw Hollington come into the match more and following a goalmouth scramble, the ref awarded a penalty to Hollington. No-one was sure why it was given but with two or three players on the ground, it was suggested the ball hit a Sids player’s arm.

The spot kick was converted to give the home team a 1-0 lead.

From the restart, a fine save from the home keeper denied Dan Bassil a goal but the one-player advantage began to show with Hollington throwing everything at the Sids and keeper Carl Rogers pulled off three great saves.

The Sids were still putting on a good show but on 80 minutes Steve Whitehead tripped a Hollington player in the box to hand them a second penalty, which was converted to put the game beyond the Sids reach.

This was a great show by the Sids and had they been up to strength, they could well have won.

SIDS: Rogers, Low, Brown, Jones, Whitehead, Hounsome, Mycock, Newman, Bassil, Derry.

This Saturday Sids are at home to league leaders Langley (2pm).