Lions produce an early-season roar

Pagham, in green, in action at Hassocks   Picture by Steve Robards
Pagham, in green, in action at Hassocks Picture by Steve Robards

Gary Block’s Pagham have enjoyed their start to the new season - taking four points from two games, with late goals the key.

Hassocks 1 Pagham 2

Sussex League division one

PAGHAM began the campaign with an encouraging 2-1 victory over a robust Hassocks side.

It took the Lions 74 minutes to break the deadlock with Scott Murfin winning a penalty after keeper Jack Simpson bundled him to the ground. The diminutive striker took the spot-kick himself and fired home.

Then just a few minutes later, the returning Rob Wimble stunned Simpson with a superb shot to make it 2-0. It made amends for a golden chance that Wimble had squandered earlier on, when he was too slow on the ball and robbed by a defender with the goal at his mercy.

Hassocks hit back with six minutes remaining when they gained a corner and Nathan Cooper crept in to head home.

The contest now had a real edge to it, but any chance of a late equaliser was quashed when Hassocks captain Ashley Marsh was red-carded after a heated exchange of comments with the referee.

PAGHAM: Binfield, Dormer, French, Hawker, Bunker, N Murfin, Clack, Wood, Wimble, S Murfin, Martin. Subs: A Brown, Coleman-Carr, R Brown, O’Connor, Bingham.


Pagham 1 Arundel 1

Sussex League division one

Neil Murfin’s injury-time equaliser snatched a point for the Lions in a match in which neither side could claim superiority.

Within two minutes of the start, Arundel could have been two up.

Josh Clack was the mainstay of Pagham’s attacking threat down the right, but Arundel went ahead when Jordan Clarke’s free-kick took a deflection beyond James Binfield.

Clack had a looping shot that went harmlessly over the bar before Rob Wimble’s shot on the turn was cleared for a goal-kick.

There was a change in goal for the visitors for the second half after Mullets keeper Fernandes reportedly broke his arm in the first period.

Arundel pushed on, looking for a second goal, but the Lions went closest thorugh Scott Murfin’s free-kick pinging back off the bar.

The Lions took advantage of Arundel pushing up and after the ball was swept off the line, Pagham got a late late equaliser. Scott Murfin supplied a pinpoint ball that Neil Murfin smashed home.

Pagham: Binfield, Dormer, French, Hawker, Bunker, N Murfin, Clack, Wood (R Brown 66), Wimble, S Murfin, Coleman-Carr. Subs: A Brown, O’Connor, Bingham.