Midhurst are struggling - but Sids aren’t

Midhurst and Sidlesham are having contrasting openings to their Sussex League campaigns - as was evident in their most recent games.

Midhurst 1 Seaford 4

Sussex League division two

The bottom team in the division were the visitors to Rotherfield after taking just one point from their previous four games. But if Midhurst thought that would result in a home win, they were badly mistaken.

Both teams showed plenty of effort but Seaford went ahead when a handball by a Midhurst defender gave Joey Pout the chance to put them ahead. He netted the penalty and with only four minutes gone, Midhurst were behind.

Midhurst looked the better of the two sides and club captain Gary Norgate was prominent in trying to equalise. Although Seaford were at the bottom, they looked confident as the game wore on - and with 20 minutes gone, Sammy Hamlin found it easy to put the ball well wide of Patric Cowell in the Midhurst goal.

Midhurst seem unable to settle on a regular team and this must be part of their problem at present.

With five minutes to go before the half-time whistle, Kirk Ferguson put Seaford further ahead with a well-taken goal.

Hardly had the second half started than BIlly Pout was on hand to steer the ball home for Seaford’s fourth.

Spirits were briefly lifted when a rough tackle by George Bunch gave Midhurst a penalty which was put away by Norgate.

The referee dished out five Midhurst cautions and four for Seaford.

Midhurst replaced James Turner and Nathan Castleton with Callum Dowdell and Lee Davis but the game was gone.

They host Storrington this Saturday.

MIDHURST: Cowell, Jones, Renshaw, Chaplin, Miller, Turner, Pelling, Sheldrick, Norgate, Castleton, Merrit-Smith. Subs: Hill, Dowdell, Davis.


Southwick 0 Sidlesham 6

Division three

The Sids went into their Sussex League division-three match at Southwick with a under-strength team because of suspensions and injuries and for the first ten minutes they were struggling to settle. But they ended up 6-0 winners.

They began to over-run Southwick and on 14 minutes John Philips was on hand to give the Sids a 1-0 lead. Soon it was 2-0 when Tom Bayley blasted home on 18 minutes.

On 23 minutes, Dean Platt hit the Sids’ third and three minutes later, the Sids were awarded a penalty and Sean Newman stepped up and gave the home keeper no chance, making it 4-0.

With Southwick under extreme pressure, they had no answer to the Sids’ onslaught and soon it was 5-0 when Dean Platt scored again on 30 minutes.

The remainder of the half saw the Sids encamped in the Southwick half and the score stayed this way at half-time.

The second half again saw the Sids continue to go on the attack and, on 55 minutes, Bayley scored his second to make it 6-0.

They continued to dominate but Platt suffered a injury and came off, leaving the Sids to see out the match with ten men.

SIDS: Membery, Millins, Carrigher, Low, Hounsome, Bunker, Newman, Platt, Bayley, Phillips, Derry.