Price leaves Pagham

Pagham's departing manager John Price  C120344-4
Pagham's departing manager John Price C120344-4

PAGHAM FC have parted company with manager John Price.

The Lions confirmed in a statement that Price, who took over as manager just under two years ago, had left his position as first-team boss.

Price told the Observer: “It’s just work pressures and personal pressures.”

The former Bognor defender joined the Nyetimber Lane club as a coach back in June 2010 when Carl Stabler took over as manager.

When Stabler moved upstairs to take over the role as chairman in April 2012, Price became manager and led the side to a fifth-placed finish in County League division one in his first full season in the role.

This season has seen a disappointing campaign from the Lions, who sit seventh in the league with just ten wins from their 25 league games.

The club said: “Pagham FC can confirm that manager John Price has left his position at the club. The committee, fans and players would like to put on record a huge debt of thanks for John’s hard work in the role over the past two years.

“Pagham FC are committed to build on John’s efforts moving forward and looking ahead have an optimistic outlook on the club’s fortunes both on and off the pitch. A new manager will be chosen in the fullness of time.”

Price left the club before Tuesday night’s defeat against East Preston in the RUR Cup.

The quarter-final, which had been postponed earlier in the day because of a burst water pipe at EP, was switched to Pagham at late notice.

After Pagham took the lead through a James Temple goal just before half-time, Lee Barnard levelled for EP and Darren Boswell won for it the holders in extra-time.


Read our full interview with John Price in next week’s (March 20) Observer.

* Pagham suffered another heavy defeat on the road when they went to Horsham YMCA.

They were 4-0 down at Horsham YMCA just after the half-hour and went on to lose 5-1, with Michael Frangou making his return to Lions colours with a consolation goal on 78 minutes.

There was better news for Pagham Reserves, who started a new era with a 3-0 win as Wes Hallett’s hastily put-together side took St Francis Rangers apart.

Two up after 23 minutes through a Josh Irish double, the Lions controlled the game – with no sign of the upheaval that had seen the previous reserve side move wholesale to Chichester City’s seconds.

The youngsters on show were mature beyond their years and the third goal from Sam Crockett was much deserved.