Selsey celebrate derby win over Midhurst

James Kilhams in action for Selsey / Picture by Chris Hatton
James Kilhams in action for Selsey / Picture by Chris Hatton

Selsey fought back from a goal down to pick up their first win in seven matches in a Southern Combination division one derby against Midhurst.

It was Midhurst who took the lead on 25 minutes, they were awarded a penalty when their attacker latched on to a poor back pass before the defender brought him down, with the Selsey man lucky to stay on the pitch.

Without a doubt it is the biggest error I have ever seen in my life – it was a clear goalscoring opportunity and he didn’t even book him.

John Suter

But despite the visitors converting, Selsey had equalised in a matter of seconds as captain Dave Rough scored from a corner.

To add to Midhurst’s frustration, they had a goal disallowed as their free-kick flew into the top corner, but the referee ruled it out due to a push in the box.

But Selsey were able to wrap up an overdue victory when substitute Danny Harrington scored from another corner, with ten minutes remaining.

Selsey Manager Steve Bailey hopes this is a turning point in his side’s season and they can continue to win more games.

He said: “It was a very good result, we have been playing well without getting results.

“We have got to get going now, we have got some tough games coming up but hopefully we can kick on from this game.”

Midhurst will feel like the victim of a poor performance from the referee and their manager John Suter, who previously managed Selsey for four years, said it is the biggest mistake he has seen but disappointingly believes his side created enough opportunities to win the game.

Sutter commented: “Without a doubt it is the biggest error I have ever seen in my life – it was a clear goalscoring opportunity and he didn’t even book him.

“Having said that, we did not finish enough of our chances to win the game, regardless to the referees decisions, as we had enough opportunities to win the game, which is disappointing.”

Selsey: Boyt, Low, Lintott, Dines, Meredith, Morey, Kilhams, Lempriere, Rough, Mempham, Parsons. Subs: Correll, Harrington, Gilbert, Jackson.

Midhurst: Kelman, Casselton, Broughton, G Chaplin, Bloom, Turner (Dowdell 80), Farquharson, Dummer, Morris, L Hamilton, M Hamilton (Sheldrick Miles 57). Unused Subs: T Chaplin.


Sidlesham 1 Steyning 0

Southern Combination D1 Cup

Sidlesham went into this game on the back of an awful run and so with confidence low that boss Gary Jefkins set them up defensively.

Danny Millens returned to the side and Steyning dominated possession in the opening 20 minutes and could have taken the lead after a poor back pass by skipper Andy Carrigher – but the forward screwed his shot wide.

Sids slowly started to come into the game and half-chances were created for John Phillips and Joe Jefkins.

The deadlock was broken on 40 minutes when a Tom Bayley cross was turned in by playmaker Phillips.

Sidlesham looked more confident in the second half and looked after the ball well for long spells, Bayley was a menance to the Steyning back four and was unlucky not to double the score.

Jay Bayley replaced Joe Jefkins on 77 minutes to make his Sids debut and was unlucky not to score on his debut.

Sidlesham host Haywards Heath in the Sussex Senior Cup on Saturday.

SIDS: Pope, Grantham, Leggat, Kelly, Carrigher, T Jefkins, McCoy, Phillips, J Jefkins (J Bayley), T Bayley, Millens.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

Share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!