Stags on the up after Uckfield win

Midhurst celebrate a goal at Uckfield    Picture by Darren Chiverton
Midhurst celebrate a goal at Uckfield Picture by Darren Chiverton

Midhurst won 2-1 in Sussex League division two away to an Uckfield side buoyant after their midweek defeat of Littlehampton.

The Stags were in a confident mood having won their previous two.

Will Stevens came in for Luke Sheldrick and the Stags started slowly – and it was the home side dominating and creating chances.

Midhurst’s only half chance of the first 25 minutes fell to Liam Dreckman, whose shot was tipped around the post by the Uckfield keeper.

The turning point came on 29 minutes when Andrew Newton was adjudged to have handled the ball after a shot struck him on the shoulder from close range. The penalty award was a little harsh but Roberts stood big in goal and it was blazed over.

The miss gave the Stags a big wake-up call and Gary Norgate, Turner and Masson all had efforts saved, one of which led to a corner that found Lawrence Hyde. The centre-back’s deft left-foot finish made it 1-0.

Midhurst were finally undone when a long clearance upfield from the Uckfield keeper made its way to Elliott Wood. A cool finish made it 1-1.

For the second half, the old head of Norgate dropped into central midfield, replacing Towers, while Luke Sheldrick came in up top.

This proved a masterstroke as a battling display from the midfield nullified any efforts for the Uckfield playmakers to get on the ball, backed up by Midhurst’s solid back four.

Roberts in goal is proving a worthy signing and Sheldrick up front held the ball up well.

Matt Mason curled an effort towards the top corner but it was kept out by the keeper.

The winner came from Mark Broughton on 65 minutes. A quick free-kick found Turner on the right wing and his ball in was inch perfect for Broughton, whose tremendous diving header found the back of the net.

The Stags saw out the game and it could have been wrapped up on 80 minutes. After winning the ball in midfield, Norgate found Sheldrick who was one on one with the keeper. But he was unable to finish.

The Stags take on Mile Oak on Saturday (3pm).