Under-18 football: Who said we don’t know how to score?

The Pebbles with their new sponsors, 1st Castle Driving School
The Pebbles with their new sponsors, 1st Castle Driving School

We have reports from Chichester, Bognor and Barnham in this week’s round-up of under-18 football action.

Get involved by sending your reports and team pictures to steve.bone@chiobserver.co.uk

Chichester 8 Steyning 0

City responded to their management’s criticism regarding poor finishing in the best possible way by scoring eight past a decent Steyning side.

It helped that they had Charlie Pattison, Alex Ansa-McIntyre and Joe Gromett back in the team for the first time this season.

Steyning stifled Chichester early on but Chi were patient and kept probing until the breakthrough finally came through in the form of an own goal - when a good effort from Pattison was well saved by the keeper only for it to rebound back in off a defender.

Gromett and Jono Tallent’s understanding of each other’s game led to a great through pass from Tallent to set Gromett on his way to score his first.

Grommet would have made it a first-half hat-trick but for a brilliant save from the Steyning keeper which came back out for Chris Honeysett to drive in to make it 4-0. The new combination of Gromett and Honeysett up front looks a potential potent force.

Steyning were still battling and forced a couple of good saves from the Chi keeper Adam Beauvoisin.

Jean-Luc Kondabeka came on for Gromett and that was the cue for Tallent to take up the goalscoring baton.

Chi’s physical dominance allowed him plenty of opportunities and the result was a second-half hat-trick. Ansa was outstanding in midfield in his first game back and was the instigator of many attacks.

In-form Ryan Chittock once again got himself on the scoresheet.

CITY: Beauvoisin, Gilbert, Boulton, Lynch (Shrives), Lillywhite, Pattison (Osman), Chittock, Tallent, Ansa-McIntyre, Honeysett, Gromett (Kondabeka).

Chichester City 3 Arundel 0

Despite injury problems, Chi maintained their 100 per cent winning record with victory over Arundel.

Midfielder Ryan Chittock opened the scoring, continuing his record of scoring in every game so far this season.

Chi were in control but missed a hatful of chances in the first half.

Moe went begging before new boy Chris Honeysett converted to put them 2-0 up. Arundel responded well and made the Chi back four work hard. However the game was put to bed when Mitchell Pope was brought down in the Arundel area and converted the resulting penalty to make it 3-0.

On Sunday, City are at home in the County Cup against Lancing (3pm).

CITY: Beauvoisin, Gilbert, Boulton, Lynch, Lillywhite, Pope, Tallent, Pattison, Chittock, Honeysett (Perry), Osman (Kondabeka).

Pebbles 4 Kingstonian 2

FA Youth Cup

A first-half hat-trick by central defender Regan Miles helped the Pebbles beat Kingstonian in the cup.

It put them 3-2 up at half-time before a superb goal by Joe Gromett secured the win.

The Pebbles go to Lewes in the next round later this month. Before then, they visit Pink Flamingos in the County Cup this Sunday and Eastbourne Borough in the League Cup next Wednesday.

Roffey 3 Chichester City Colts 3

The Colts’ first game of the season was a tough introduction to A division football with only 11 players available away to a strong Roffey outfit containing several county players.

Colts came away with a fully deserved draw after playing neat passing football with goals from Joe Dennis (2) and Jack Gallop set up by Biyi Sogbesan, Chaz Richardson and Jacob West, plus a brave performance from goalkeeper Alex Dodsworth with several point-saving stops.

The spirited team performance bodes well for a hopefully-productive season.

COLTS: Dodsworth, W Richardson, Dennis, Sogbesan, Fudge, C Richardson, Dodd, Porter, McLaughlin, Gallop, West.

Barnham 4 Worthing United 6

Barnham ended their first competitive fixture on the wrong end of a ten-goal thriller at Oliver’s Meadow.

It only took four minutes for Worthing to open the scoring with a close-range effort, but Barnham responded with goals from Adam Gooding who capitalised on a goalkeeping error to slot into an empty net, and Ali Mugford, who controlled a ball brilliantly and raced through on goal before finishing calmly.

A freak goal directly from a corner got Worthing level, then a well-taken finish inside the box put them 3-2 up on the stroke of half-time, though a string of fine saves from stand-in goalkeeper Kristian Linger-Madsen prevented Worthing from racking up an unassailable lead.

Barnham applied pressure from the restart, which resulted in an equaliser from a Rob Hutchings’ free-kick.

Three goals in 15 minutes from Worthing left Barnham shell-shocked but even at 6-3 down, they showed no signs of giving up.

A driving run forward from centre-half Liam Foster resulted in him being fouled in the box and Gooding stepped up to slot away the penalty.

Hutchings sent a cross across the face of goal, Dec Richards had a shot saved from long distance and Luke Major rifled a shot from 35 yards just over the bar.

Barnham: Linger-Madsen, Brett, Spear, Foster, Owers, Richards, Wilson, Hutchings, Mitchell, Gooding, Mugford. Subs: Faulkner, Major, Read.