Youth football: Angmering make it a black day for Avisford

Chichester Colts White under-11s
Chichester Colts White under-11s

Action involving Avisford Youth, Chichester City Colts, Midhurst & Easebourne, Bognor Allstars, Predators and Selsey Seals features in this week’s youth football round-up.

Send reports and team pictures to


Avisford Youth 1 Angmering Youth Black 3

Avisford slipped to their second successive defeat against a well-organised Angmering outfit.

The home side got off to a lively start. Four minutes in, Angmering were penalised for a back pass. Alfie Greene’s indirect free-kick from a lay-off was well-saved by Arundel keeper Tommy Quinn.

But three minutes later, against the run of play, the away side took the lead. Toby Westbrook fired into the top corner past Layton Cummings. Avisford were becoming over-run in midfield, and on 14 minutes Angmering doubled their lead as Westbrook netted his second of the game to give them a comfortable half-time lead.

Avisford improved after the break as they tried to plug the gaps in the middle of the park. It took only four minutes of the second half to find a way back into the game. Matt Kill was last season’s top scorer and he opened his account for this campaign with a smartly-taken penalty after a handball in the area.

Jake Longley was agonisingly close to an equaliser, but his floated free-kick bounced inches wide of the Angmering goal as Avisford pressed.

However it was a counter attack two minutes from time that put the game out of reach for the home side. Kallum Burdfield reacted quickest to a rebound after Cummings made a fine save from Bradley Whitehead’s shot to make it 3-1.

Avisford will be disappointed to have lost their opening two games. But they have a chance to make amends as they next host Felpham Colts Rangers, another club who were promoted from D division last season on Sunday at Rose Green.

Avisford man of the match was Alex Jones.

AVISFORD: Cummings, Jones, Longley, Greene, Brian, McGinley, Copeland. Subs: Kill, Nowak.


Chichester City Colts White 5 Worthing Town Green 0

In the first round of the Challenge Cup, Colts made the breakthrough with a goal from Jake O’Brennan in the third minute. The Colts kept up the early pressure and Ryan Johnson scored his first of the day.

It was one-way traffic and the Colts scored again, this time from a wonderful free-kick from Rhys Rawlings, so it was 3-0 to the Colts at half-time.

The second half started much like the first, with constant pressure from Chichester.

During a great passage of play, Ryan Johnson was brought down in the box. He dusted himself down and scored the resulting penalty to make it 4-0. With seconds to go, Jake Wells put the icing on the cake with a brilliant 35-yard shot.

Man of the match was Ryan Johnson.

COLTS: Briant, McGreal, Wilson, Breeze, Moore, Rawlings, O’Brennan, Scott, Tilbury, Wells, Stone, Johnson.


Midhurst & Easebourne 0 Chichester City Colts 8

Chichester City Colts progressed to the second round of the Challenge Cup for the first time in four seasons.

They pushed forward from the start but a combination of the crossbar, poor finishing and good goalkeeping prevented them taking an early advantage.

Colts broke through midway through the first half when Roman’s corner to the near post appeared to find its way into the goal after a ricochet off the keeper and post.

The Colts squandered more chances but scored again when Roman burst clear, latched on to Turner-Kilburn’s pass to emphatically smash the ball into the net.

Colts continued to push forward in the second half and increased their lead when Roman weaved through the Midhurst defence to stroke home his third of the game.

Davies notched his first of the season, poking the ball home from close range after a goalmouth scramble.

A Midhurst counter-attack led to a heavy collision between their striker and Colts keeper Baxter, resulting in defender Reading having to take over in goal.

Colts resumed the attacking momentum and scored a fifth when Turner-Kilburn timed his run to perfection, meeting Doran’s inswinging corner to plant a great header into the Midhurst net.

The sixth also came from a corner, this time Roman collecting a rebound from his own cleared corner and curling a great long-range chip into the corner of the goal.

Midfielder Jupp claimed his first of the season, popping up in the area to roll the ball past the advancing keeper.

With the final whistle imminent, Roman claimed his fifth, controlling a loose ball on the edge of the area, swivelling and smashing a righ-foot shot into the top corne.

MoM was Roman.

COLTS: Baxter, Hewitt, Johnson, Reading, Mead, Adams, Turner-Kilburn, Jupp, Carter, Smith, Roman, Davies, Doran, Wiseman.

Allstars 17 Worthing Dynamos 0

Allstars are looking to improve and created eight chances before finally opening the scoring in the 20th minute when Liam Morley finished off a fine move.

Four more goals followed - from Joe Jones, Charlie Osborne and Morley (2) to make the score at half-time 5-0.

At half-time, they must have been told off as the second half saw a large improvement in their performance with some excellent passing football.

Another outstanding performance from the back four of Mathew Morris, Taylor Hudson, Jordan Martin and Curtis Buck kept Dynamos at bay leaving Taylor Floyd in goal a mere spectator.

Excellent midfield work by Michael Canavan, Luca Smith, Osborne and Arron Smith provided goods balls to Jones and Morley up front.

Allstars’ second-half goals came from Martin (2), Osborne (3), Jones, Smith, Canavan and Morley (4).

Although Allstars’ performance was excellent, the never-give-up attitude of all the Worthing Dynamos players was to their credit.

Predators Youth 9 Selsey Seals 1

Predators’ good start to the season continued with a comfortable win over Selsey Seals.

From the kick-off, the visitors had no answer to the pace and movement of the Predators’ frontline.

Alex Burford opened the scoring when a defence-splitting pass put him through on goal, then shortly after he added a second.

Toby Lauder outpaced the defence to slot home the third before right-back Jacob Hanslip surged down the wing, exchanged passes to wrongfoot the defence and fire home just before half-time.

Burford scored his third and fourth early in the second half. They made numerous chances before Jordon Smith scored twice and Kieron Waldron headed his first goal for the club to complete the rout. Selsey grabbed a consolation just before the final whistle.

PREDATORS: Fellows, Burford, Clarke, Daniels, Donner, Hanslip, Humphries, Lauder, Sanctuary, Simmonds, Smith, Waldron.


Midhurst & Easebourne under-sevens are looking for new players - anyone interested should contact Sean Brockhurst on 07787 332337.