Youth football: Fine finish puts win in the cupboard

editorial image

This week’s youth football round-up features wins for Felpham Colts, Chi City Colts Red, Chichester City Youth, Predators, Midhurst & Easebourne, Pagham Youth and Bourne Sports.


Felpham Colts 2 Chichester City Colts 0

In this first encounter between the teams, Felpham came out on top with a 2-0 win.

The match started at a fast pace with Luke Hubbard causing problems with his mazy runs but the Chichester goalkeeper was in outstanding form to keep the game scoreless in the first half.

The second half started with Felpham scoring through Hubbard, whose shot wrongfooted the keeper. But the keeper made three great stops to keep Chichester in the game.

Oliver Payne, Charlie Jays, Elvis Millen and Rhys Nicholas came on and Nicholas’ shot from a tight angle made its way in to give Felpham the three points and put them top of the league.

Harry Geall claimed the man-of-the-match award while Luke Dent took over the goalkeeping duties late on and kept a clean sheet.

FELPHAM: Zak Cogger, Fraser Partridge, Cian Markie, Lewis Walker, Harry Geall, Luke Hubbard, Rhys Nicholas, Luke Dent, Daniel Kearns, Oliver Payne, Elvis Millen, Charlie Jays, Sam Blunt.


Middleton Diamond White 0 Chi City Colts Reds 6

Chichester looked bright from the start, with the pairing of McGregor and Bramley Ayre up front faring well.

The pace of Bramley Ayre was too much for the Middleton defence and he bagged the team’s first hat-trick of the season.

The tenacious McGregor didn’t give in, ending up with two great goals.

Great work from Cherrill on the right side of midfield paid off towards the end with a goal for him.

CITY: French, Brooker, Warner, McGreal, Swift, Cherrill, Kemp, Pulleyblank, Earl, Bramley Ayre, McGregor. Sub: Goodall.

Chichester Colts 2 Chichester City Youth 6

Colts took the lead early with a solo effort by George Cody, who fired the ball low past Christy Carter in the City goal.

Colts kept City at bay for the next 20 minutes until Zac Moy found space in the box to fire City level.

Two quick goals followed for City – a dink over the onrushing keeper by Collins Alfred and a great run into the box by Patric Turner to smash one into the roof of the net.

The early second half saw Colts dominating and they got a goal back with a well-worked finish by James Cheeseman.

City stretched their lead with two quick goals for Moy and man of the match Turner finished things off with a fantastic half-volley from the edge of the area.

CITY: Carter, Macdonald, Hutchings, East, Amos, Scutt, Shaw, Alfred, Dry, Turner, Moy, Jessop, Yeo.


Predators 6 Highdown Saints 0

Predators were soon on the scoresheet with a flick on by Josling allowing Farndell to find the back of the net.

The Highdown keeper then made a great save only to see it find the head of Irish, who put it wide.

Predators dominated the rest of the half with Josling scoring twice.

The second half saw Predators keep control of the game yet again with Josling hitting the target making it his third hat-trick of the season so far.

Predators keeper Williams was rarely tested.

And his team-mates were soon on the attack again as Davies sent a through-ball to Irish, who slotted it home.

Hillier then scored the goal of the game with a screamer from 20 yards out. Man of the match was Irish.

PREDATORS: Josling, Irish, Davies, Hillier, Farndell, Williams, Cook, Vinsome, Edwards, Jukes, Bosco-Brown, Blackman, Furlong, Birch, Keet.

Rustington Otters Youth 0 Midhurst & Easebourne 6

Bottom side Rustington played a strong defensive game in the first half and Midhurst struggled to put passes together.

Fine goalkeeping from Greet kept Rustington from scoring.

Following a strong half time team talk Midhurst rediscovered their usual quality. Karol Papaj opened the scoring and Jordan Warren and Chris Cain quickly made it 3-0.

Warren scored twice more to get his hat-trick and Cain scored a second.

MIDHURST: Greet, S Cain, Largan, Thompson, Thornley, Murphy, Warren, Oomen, Papaj, Field-Millard, C Cain, Burtoo.


Pagham Youth 2 Wealden Colts 1 (aet)

Pagham came up against a very strong and well-organised side in the first round of the county cup and the game went to extra time.

The first half was very even but Wealden went closest when hitting the post.

In the second half Pagham took the lead when a free-kick from the left by Joe Hurford sailed into the top corner.

The game flowed from end to end but Wealden got their rewards with a stunning equaliser from long range.

In extra time Pagham proved the stronger team and in the first period they got their winner when the superb Jack Barnes set up Michael Charman, who slammed the ball home.

PAGHAM: Carter, Hurford, Poole, Gosbee, Strachan, Game, Barnes, Matthews, Vincent, Charman, Wood, Taunton, C Richardson, W Richardson.

Pagham Colts 0 Bourne Sports 2

Pagham started this County Cup game well with neat approach play that resulted in two opportunities, neither being taken.

Bourne got themselves into the game and could have scored themselves before half time.

Minutes into the second half a mix-up in the home defence allowed a Bourne player to run through and open the scoring.

Pagham huffed and puffed but couldn’t penetrate a well-organised Bourne team, who scored a second a minute from time to go through to the next round.

PAGHAM: Tribe, Marland, Shea, Carter, Parham, Gonzalez, Kitchener, Barratt, VanDriel, Stevens, Williams, Haines, Watson, Clarke.