Youth football: Lion Cubs are hungry for success

Pagham under-18s on the goal trail at Arundel / Picture by Roger Smith
Pagham under-18s on the goal trail at Arundel / Picture by Roger Smith

Pagham’s under-18s were in winning form at Arundel while various Chichester City Colts teams have had positive results.

Read the latest youth football reports below - and yes, FA, they do say who won, lost and scored - and get involved in our coverage by sending match reports and team pictures to


Arundel Under 0 Pagham 5

Arundel attacked Pagham, although without putting them under any real pressure.

The Lions went 2-0 up as the speed of Michael Rogerson and Branden Williams caught them out, both frontmen racing forward to put the Lion Cubs in control in the first five minutes. This became three only minutes later when Rogerson added his second.

Ceri Marsh’s corners were causing all sorts of problems for Arundel and from one of these he hit the far post but saw the ball scrambled away.

Arundel were finding their feet and starting to show their true form but Ryan Spray and Ben Holmes were soaking up everthing down the middle and seeing the half out.

From the restart Pagham seemed more at home with the crosswind and surged forward, prompted by the hard-working George Bingham in midfield.

They had to wait until substitutes Jake Heryet and Matt Ryan came on to score four and five. This inspired Pagham to push forward in the search of more but the heroics of the home goalkeeper thwarted them.

This win leaves Pagham second in the league, playing catch-up with Burgess Hill Town.


Chichester City Colts 7 Rustington Otters Youth 2

Colts have reached the semi-finals of the Invitation Cup.

They showed their intent in the opening minutes when Taylor Parker scored following a William Parker through-ball. Rustington hit back before further goals from Lee Clayton, Toby Evans and a second from Taylor Parker gave Colts a 4-1 interval lead.

Colts continued with further goals from Liam Craddock and MoM Toby Watkins before Rustington added there second. Clayton added his second and Colts’ seventh in the last five minutes from a Rochester through-ball to secure Colts a third semi-final in two years.

CITY COLTS: Williams, Newton, Angell, Rochester, Simmons, Nicol, W Parker (c), Evans, T Parker, Clayton, Watkins. Subs: Main, Hamblin, S Jones, J Jones, Craddock


Chichester City Colts White 6 Felpham Colts 2

Chichester started well and scored through Callum Restall-Whitehouse on 14 minutes. He made it 2-0 after 23 minutes and the Colts remained on top for the remainder of the half.

Will Breden scored on 29 minutes to make the half time score 3-0.

Breden scored his second just after the restart. Felpham kept pushing and scored after some sloppy defending from Chichester.

With ten minutes left, Jake O’Brennan scored a great header before Felpham scored again after some good attacking and an unfortunate bobble for the Colts keeper.

And with only seven minutes left , Fynn-Lee Hinshelwood scored the goal of the day with an effort from 25 yards that ended up in the top corner to make the final score 6-2

CHI CITY COLTS: Briant, Wells, Moore, Dearnley, Webb, Hogan-Hussein, Stone, O’Brennan, Restall-Whitehouse, Breden, Johnson, Montesino-Chinea,



Chichester City Youth 1 Chichester City Colts 1

Chichester Youth made a confident start, taking most of the possession in the early stages of the game.

Tight marking and strong defending by Max Hopp and Joshua Jensen kept it goalless through a period of sustained pressure by the opposition. As the Colts got into the game, City Youth were able to secure the first goal on the break.

Ten minutes before half-time Jack Kennedy manoeuvred the ball skilfully past the Chichester Youth defence and went around the keeper to calmly score the equaliser.

Colts came out firing on all cylinders looking for the winner, some brave tackles from both Theo Perrin and Teddy Phillippo kept the ball in the City Youth half.

A great run by Harry Angell up the left wing just failed to lead to a goal. Kennedy had another good run but was unable to cross.

In the last ten minutes it was City Youth’s chance to step up the pressure, but some great saves by MoM Joshua McCulloch kept it level.

COLTS: Harry Angell, Louis Godfrey, Max Hopp, Joshua Jensen, Jack Kennedy, Joshua McCulloch, Matthew Palfrey, Theo Perrin, Teddy Phillippo, George Purvis.

Chichester City Colts 4 Lancing United 1

Captained by Louis Godfrey, the Colts pressed hard from the beginning and had plenty of early chances. Shots came from Jack Kennedy, Harry Angell, George Purvis and Theo Perrin. A total of 15 efforts in the first half were saved by the Lancing goalie.

Great defence from Joshua Jensen boosted Colts before a push from Lancing resulted in a strong shot on target and a fantastic save from Joshua McCulloch.

The second half saw Colts continue to press but against the run of play Lancing scored with a neat finish.

Colts’ midfield was too strong, Max Hopp and Matthew Palfrey keeping up the pressure. With minutes to go it all came good for the Colts with goals from Louis Godfrey, Harry Angell (2) and a belter from Ben Roberts. The Colts secured themselves a 4-1 win.

MoM was Godfrey.

COLTS: Harry Angell, Harry Dobinson, Louis Godfrey, Max Hopp, Hugo James, Joshua Jensen, Jack Kennedy, Joshua Mc Culloch, Matthew Palfrey, Theo Perrin, Teddy Phillippo, George Purvis, Ben Roberts.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

Share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!