Youth football: Why win means so much to Felpham lads

Victory is ours! Felpham Colts Athletic under-12s
Victory is ours! Felpham Colts Athletic under-12s

A story of achievement over adversity headlines this week’s youth football as we hail Felpham Colts Athletic under-12s.

Get involved in our weekly round-up on this website and in the Observer by sending reports and team pictures to


Felpham Colts Athletic 1 AFC Worthing Atoms 0

After a season without a single win and only one point, Felpham Colts Athletic under-12s are on the up after their first victory in more than a year, which has seen them triple the points they scored in the whole of 2013-14.

The team have always fought hard and shown true character, coming back week after week despite the losses – which makes this win a sweet reward for their efforts.

After a single deflected goal in the first half, Athletic held on to their lead all the way through the second half up to the final whistle, when the celebration from players and parents was more akin to winning the FA Cup than a kids’ Sunday match.

Team manager Darren Denman said: “I’m delighted and relieved for all the kids for this much-deserved victory, which has been achieved by their hard work and help from parents in training.

“They played really well together – the only problem they now have is that we are going to expect them to play this well every week from now on!”


Whyke United 2 Predators Youth 9

After two defeats, Predators won handsomely to get their season back on track. They were soon dominating with Chris Brayfield and Dom Humphries controlling the midfield and releasing Sean Donner down the right to create opportunities.

Against the run of play, Whyke took the lead as a wild clearance by the Predators keeper cannoned into his own net. Then Whyke scored again with a clinical finish. Just before half-time Jacob Carroll pulled one back after a goalkeeping error.

Predators changed tactics after half-time, using a more direct approach, and it paid off as Jacob Carroll equalised and Brandon Williams gave Predators the lead.

Midfield dynamo and man of the match Josh Simmonds drove the team forward and it was one-way traffic as Whyke wiltedt, allowing both Carroll and Williams to complete hat-tricks.

Scott Bingham scored his first goal for Predators from the penalty spot and Jacob Hanslip completed the scoring.

PREDATORS: Fellows, Bingham, Brayfield, Burford, Carroll, Daniels, Donner, Hanslip, Humphries, Morris, Sanctuary, Simmonds, Williams.


Barnham Trojans 4 Chichester City Colts 3

Chichester City Colts suffered their first loss of the season to last season’s A division runners-up Barnham Trojans at Great Ballard School at Eartham.

It was neck and neck in the early exchanges with Barnham having the slight advantage shooting down the slope. This advantage finally told when a Barnham striker charged into the Colts area unchallenged to fire Barnham into the lead.

One became two minutes later when a Colts corner broke down and Barnham broke to take a two-goal advantage.

At the start of the start of the second half, Rock Rochester came off ill and Sam Jones took his place.

Colts soon pulled a goal back. Toby Evans delivered a fine free-kick allowing Taylor Parker to score his first.

Barnham restored the two-goal advantage but this didn’t deter Colts. James Nicol played an inch-perfect pass to Parker, who slotted his second of the game.

MoM Parker completed his hat-trick from an acute angle. But Barnham broke with five minutes to play to restore there lead with Colts keeper Williams having no chance to save the shot.

COLTS: S Williams, H Newton, J Jones, S Jones, W Parker, T Rochester, T Evans, J Nicol, J Angell, C Simmons, T Parker, D Hamblin, L Craddock,


Chi Colts 3 Lancing Rangers 5

This was a fiercely-contested match with lots of spirited tackles. Lancing took the lead but Colts’ Joe Middleton soon made it 1-1. Then with a great run from inside his own half, Middleton shrugged off the Lancing defence to score a great individual goal.

Lancing equalised before half-time and the second half brought some great goalkeeping from Chi goalkeeper Theo Perrin.

Chi were awarded a free kick on the corner of the box which was excellently taken by Harry Angell to give Chi the lead. But again Lancing came back to make it 3-3. Great defending by Ben Roberts and Ted Phillippo kept out Lancing but they won it with two late strikes.

Avisford Youth 4 Worthing Town White 5

Mistakes and missed chances once again cost Avisford a chance of victory.

When these two sides met last month, Avisford were 3-1 winners.

The home side took the lead on 14 minutes as Charlie Hunter’s cross was deflected into the Worthing net. The goal was awarded to Hunter for his third of the season.

The lead was to last less than a minute as a defensive error let in Worthing to equalise, and just before half-time Hugo Okada gave the away side the lead as Avisford went into the break behind.

The second half saw the introduction of striker Jack Dignum for his Avisford debut, but the black and whites gave themselves a massive mountain to climb as two quickfire Worthing goals made it 4-1.

Alfie Greene pulled one back then Dignum began to make his mark on the game as his energy and desire rattled the Worthing defence.

Hunter scored his second to bring it back to 4-3 before Max Stevens got a decisive fifth for Worthing as his shot from the edge of the area beat keeper Daniel Hall.

Dignum got into several one on one duels with keeper William Widdows, who stood firm to keep Worthing ahead. Five minutes before the end, Jake Longley’s through-ball once again released Dignum, and he made no mistake.

Worthing held out for the win. Dignum was man of the match.

Avisford: Hall, Longley, Nowak, Wasowski, Hunter, Greene, Brian, Kill, Salter. Sub: Dignum.