Midhurst and Sidlesham ship ten between them

It was a bad day for Midhurst in Sussex League division two and Sidlesham in the third tier.

Thursday, 21st November 2013, 7:49 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 8:43 pm
Tom Chaplin tries to get Midhurst motoring against Broadbridge Heath Picture by Kate Shemilt C131555-2

Midhurst 1 Broadbridge Heath 5

Sussex League division two

Midhurst have struck another bad patch - as this 5-1 loss shows - and the management must be wondering what to do next to lift morale.

Broadbridge Heath werein mid-table and with several team changes, Midhurst felt they would be able to get a point or even three.

The first 15 minutes looked promising and the Midhurst midfield were looking good with team captain Gary Norgate and Lawrence Hyde prominent. However, the visitors went ahead when Martyn Flack went clear and netted a well taken goal.

Half-time saw the score at 1-0 to the visitors but Midhurst’s spirits were raised when a free-kick was converted by Hyde.

This had a marked effect on Midhurst and play evened out.

The home side’s players and supporters appealed vociferously for a penalty but it wasn’t given - and after that, the Heath took control.

Four goals in the latter stages left Midhurst well beaten but they battled until the final whistle.

This week they are home again - this time to Uckfield, who are also in mid-table. Kick-off at Rotherfield is 2pm.

MIDHURST: Standen, Chaplin, Renshaw, Pelling, Norgate, Hyde, Peck, Newton, Dummer, Pulis, Turner, Sultan.

Midhurst reserves lost 7-0 at Arundel. This week they go to Loxwood.


Ifield 5 Sidlesham 3

Sussex League division three

The Sids got off to a dream start when their first attack saw Dan Bassil score after only one minute.

With their tails up, the Sids went on the offensive, not allowing Ifield any room to get out of their half.

On 15 minutes, the home keeper saved a shot and kicked the ball out only for it to hit Tom Bayley and go in to give the Sids a 2-0 lead.

A 35th-minute defensive error allowed Ifield to get one back.

The second half started with the Sids going for what they thought would be a knockout blow and after only one minute of play, some fine work by Bayley led to John Phillips scoring their third.

Ifield were beginning to play the better football and were being allowed room to cause the Sids problems but no one could have seen what was coming.

On 77 minutes Ifield made it 3-2 following another defensive mix-up and three minutes later they scored again to bring the scores level.

In the 90th minute, Ifield were given so much room they added to their score to take the lead - but they were not finished.

Two minutes later, they added a fifth goal to complete a remarkable turnround.

This was the first time in two seasons the Sids have lost two games on the trot but after leading 3-1 they should not have done so.

SIDS: Rogers, Millins, Low, Brown, Jones, Hounsome, Mycock, Newman, Bayley, Phillips, Bassil, Derry.