Another point - but another late goal hurts Rocks

Harvey Whyte - pictured facing Kingstonian - was one of those to see a chance go begging at Peacehaven   Picture by Chris Hatton
Harvey Whyte - pictured facing Kingstonian - was one of those to see a chance go begging at Peacehaven Picture by Chris Hatton

Who says lightning doesn’t strike twice? It did for the Rocks as they saw three points turn into one with a last-gasp equaliser at Peacehaven and Telscombe – jut as they had at home to Kingstonian 48 hours earlier.

A dominant performance away to newly-promoted Peacehaven and a deserved lead was wiped out in virtually the last action of the game.

In driving rain that fell for most of the game, Bognor gave their hosts a lesson in how to play football – to the extent that for almost all of the first half, Chris Winterton in the Rocks goal hardly had a thing to do.

Neat inter-passing from the Rocks seemed too much for a pedestrian-looking home team, but for all their dominance, Bognor couldn`t make the breakthrough they so thoroughly deserved.

Chances fell to Ben Johnson on 14 and 27 minutes and Harvey Whyte on 40 minutes but went begging and the only time the Bognor keeper was called into action was to punch clear a free-kick in the 45th minute.

The second half started more evenly with the Magpies trying to take the game to the visitors.

However, it was Bognor that made a deserved breakthrough in the 53rd minute when a great low cross from Alex Parsons was rifled past despairing home keeper Antony Di Bernado by the hard-working Ollie Pearce.

On 55 minutes Arron Hopkinson came on for Whyte and a few minutes later, an effort from ex-Rocks player James Fraser was easily saved by Winterton.

The Rocks made a second substitution on 63 minutes when Jake Thomson replaced Parsons, but the home team were pressing for the equaliser and only a good save from Winterton prevented Fraser from drawing the home team level.

Similarly, Winterton was called into action in the 81st minute to stop a quality snap-shot from Josh Jones going in.

Bognor were still trying to take the game to the visitors and get the all-important second goal, but well into injury time Evan Archibald nodded in after Bognor failed to clear their lines following a free-kick from the right.

The Rocks can count themselves very unlucky not to have taken all three points but they have to quickly learn how to hold on to leads.

ROCKS: Winterton, Hinshelwood, Crane, Tuck, Sackman (Medway 88), Robson, Whyte (Hopkinson 55), Oatway, Parsons (Thomson 63), Pearce, Johnson.