FA Trophy Rocks Review: Rocks 4 Ilford 1

The Rocks made light work of Ilford to ease into the next round of the FA Trophy.

Tom Boyle made his first start in goal for the Rocks in place of the absent Craig Stoner.

There was also a place in the line-up for Doug Tuck and it was the youngster who set up the game’s first real chance on seven minutes when his precise pass split the defence to set up Terry Dodd – but he could only roll his effort wide of the far post.

Back came the visitors and Boyle had to be alert to tip Joel Ettiene-Clark’s hopeful long-range effort over the bar.

In the tenth minute, Dodd chased a long ball over the top and squared for Mu Maan but, with just the keeper to beat, his first touch let him down and the ball rolled into the grateful hands of Rose.

The Rocks were dealt a blow when central defender Stuart Axten hobbled off injured and was replaced by Ben Andrews - the latest in a seeminlgy never-ending series of injuries to key players this season.

On the half-hour, Bognor took the lead when DODD chased on to another long ball before rounding the keeper and finishing.

Five minutes later, the lead was doubled when good work on the left from Maan saw his low cross finished off by Steve HARPER who fired home from 12 yards.

In the 44th minute, Bognor got their third when Jon Marzetti’s cross was met by Doug Tuck. His close-range effort was well blocked by Rose but James CRANE fired home the rebound.

The fourth goal arrived for Bognor on 73 minutes as HARPER curled home a fine free-kick from 25 yards.

Ilford grabbed a late consolation through Christian Mkwannanzi but it did little to dent Bognor’s joy.

ROCKS: Boyle, Marzetti, Wollers, Crane, Axten, John, Harper, Wills, Maan, Dodd, Tuck. Subs: Kempson, Stockford, Walshe, Chick, Andrews.

ILFORD: Rose, Dawkins, Akambi, Oshin, Simpson, Kayode, Ettienne-Clark, Okwera, Msula, Wilson, Lutaaya. Subs: Mkwannanzi, Darr, Ibhadon, Abitogun, Jeetoo.


Get all the latest from Nyewood Lane in the new-look Bognor Observer - out on Thursday