Rocks continue to be a good draw

Harvey Whyte's goal earned a point at Bury   Picture by Chris Hatton
Harvey Whyte's goal earned a point at Bury Picture by Chris Hatton

Harvey Whyte scored his first goal of the season to earn Bognor a point at Bury.

Bognor took to the field on a lovely sunny day with an unchanged starting XI from their previous game, the 1-1 draw at Peacehaven.

They travelled in the knowledge you have to go back to April to find Bognor’s last win and that they’ve not had any joy away to their Suffolk hosts for a couple of seasons.

Bury took the initial attack to Bognor and as early as the second minute Craig Robson had to clear off the line with Chris Winterton beaten when Wales went through for Bury.

This spurred Bognor into action and they went straight down the other end to cause problems for the home defence.

Alex Parsons just failed to get on the end of a Ben Johnson cross from the left, and seconds later Ollie Pearce shot just wide.

In a 15-20-minute period of Bognor pressure that followed, Charlie Oatway shot just wide from long distance and then Pearce brought an excellent save out of Garnham in the home goal.

Bury replied with their own period of pressure. Winterton missed an inswinging corner under pressure, which was cleared, and then Weavers blasted wide when put through.

With half-time approaching Bognor attacked down the left through Johnson, and in a goalmouth melee the visitors had a loud shout for a penalty which wasn’t given. From the resulting clearance Bury won a throw in on the right.

The following long throw seemed to have been won by Winterton under pressure, but somehow the ball fell free for HOLDER to fire home for Bury right on 45 minutes. This decision angered the Bognor management, who had words with the ref as they left the pitch at half-time.

Bognor started the second half in determined mood, feeling slightly aggrieved to be trailing. Straight from the kick-off they

attacked and a superb inter-passing move involving Whyte and Johnson saw WHYTE fire home an equaliser.

Bury made a substitution, bringing on new signing Nuno Sousa in the middle of the park. The Portugese player, who has played Europa League football for Maribor, started to wrestle the possession back for the hosts. Winterton was forced to make a good save from Miller, and then Hall headed just wide from a corner.

With play flowing from end to end Johnson brought a good save out of the home keeper, and minutes later Arron Hopkinson, on for Parsons, set up Pearce who was unable to finish.

With game fizzling out to a draw, Bognor had a really good shout for a penalty when a James Crane shot appeared to hit Clarke’s hands, but yet again the ref waved away the appeals.

Bognor were well worth the point and with the rub of the green could well have taken all three points. On the positive side of things this was the third game unbeaten following the four losses that opened the campaign.

ROCKS: Winterton, Crane, Hinshelwood, Robson, Sackman, Tuck, Johnson, Oatway, Whyte, Pearce, Parsons. Subs: Hayes, Hopkinson, Thomson, Medway.