Rocks Review: Lewes 1 Rocks 1

It`s not often it can be said that the probable goal of the season was scored after only six games, but that could well be true of Knae Wills’ 70th-minute equaliser that earned the Rocks a deserved share of the points at Lewes on Bank Holiday Monday.

It was a game of two halves with the home side dominating the first, and the visitors the second.

Lewes came out of the blocks very quickly and within seven minutes they were ahead when a cross from Nick Wheeler was sidefooted into the Bognor goal by the home side captain Jack Dixon.

The Rocks were looking very vulnerable and on 16 minutes, Daryl Wollers was replaced by James Crane.

Lewes continued to press with chances falling to Wheeler and Treleaven.

Bognor`s first real chance came on 21 minutes when a great run down the right from Crane and cross to Ollie Pearce ended in his shot sailing over the bar.

Lewes should have gone two up in the 27 minutes when a great header from Dixon resulted in an awesome point-blank save from Rocks keeper Mark Zawadski.

The Rocks were beginning to come more into the game and Stuart Axten headed just wide from a corner. On 42 minutes, only a superb save from Rikki Banks in the home goal prevented the Rocks drawing level from a Pearce shot.

In the final seconds of the half a strong appeal for a Lewes penalty was turned down following a run through by Nathan Crabb.

The Rocks came out for the second half in a far more determined mood and looking to take to game to the home team.

Early chances fell to Arron Hopkinson and Ben Godfrey, who was then replaced on 52 minutes by Terry Dodd.

Bognor were making all the running and neat inter-passing was proving a handful for the home side, and in the 62nd minute, only another fine save from the Lewes keeper tipping a free-kick from Wills over the bar kept them ahead.

Then the magic happened. On 70 minutes, Wills received the ball in midfield, saw the Lewes keeper slightly out of position and fired a fierce shot from fully 35 yards which screamed into the top right-hand corner of the Lewes goal with the home keeper completely beaten.

Lewes tried to grab back the lead, and only a couple of excellent saves by Zawadski from Dixon and Ben Austin efforts kept the scores level.

And the Bognor goal was beginning to take on a charmed life when Zawadski had to save again from point-blank range following a run through from Lewes sub Ade Olorunda.

However, the Rocks hit back and when the final whistle went, they were the stronger side and definitely worth a point - and could have taken all three had they converted a few more of their chances.

Rocks: Zawadski, Malins, Wollers ( Crane 16), Tuck, Axten, Robson, Hopkinson, Wills, Godfrey (Dodd 52), Whyte, Pearce (Marzetti ). Subs Not Used: Sackman, Boyle.