Rocks Review: Rocks 1 Wingate & Finchley 0

Bognor’s goalless and winless home run ended as they grounded out a valuable three points against a battling Wingate & Finchley side thanks to a Terry Dodd wondergoal.

Since being Carshalton on January 5, the Rocks have failed to score or secure a point in three home league matches - but that unfortunate sequence has now come to an end.

Bognor welcomed newcomers Josh Warren and Simon Woods into the first XI from Pompey and Portchester as Jon Marzetti started on the bench.

Spencer Bellotti had the first chance for the visitors but his low shot following a square pass was well saved by Craig Stoner, back in the side after missing several weeks with a knee injury.

Dan Kempson curled a free-kick into the box and it just beat Dodd on the back post and went out for a goal-kick.

On ten minutes James Crane sent in a cross in from the right and Simon Woods’ header clipped the top of the crossbar and out for a goal-kick.

Harvey Whyte beat his defender but skied his left-foot shot over the bar.

Ronayne Marsh-Brown sped down the left to swing a low cross in across the front of the Rocks’ penalty box and Jack Hutchinson was there to get a shot away but it bounced harmlessly wide.

Crane’s shot was blocked by a defender and appeals for a handball were ignored by the referee.

The opening goal - and, as it turned out, the only one - came from the Rocks on 27 minutes.

Dodd ran onto a Daryl Wollers pass down the left and curled a fanstastic right-footed shot beyond the goalkeeper, just clipping the inside of the post as it went in to give Bognor the lead.

Seconds later Dodd had to replace his shirt because of a nose bleed.

On 32 minutes, Kane Wills’ corner fell to Sam Pearce, whose back header rose over the bar.

Wingate’s Anthony Thomas hit a good free-kick from 30 yards out but it bounced wide.

At the end of the first half, Josh Warren headed the ball straight into John Christian’s path - but his shot failed to trouble Stoner.

HT - 1-0

Whyte was replaced at half-time by Ollie Pearce but the Blues - showing little sign of a reaction to having five players sent off last Sunday - came out in the second half with a positive attitude.

Thomas’ shot was blocked by a Bognor defender in the box.

On 57 minutes Lewis Stockford came on for Kempson.

Ollie Pearce won a free-kick after breaking down the right. Wills’ long swirling free-kick found Sam Pearce near the back post, but he hit the ball over the bar.

Wollers’ forward ball to Woods saw the young forward turn inside his defender before striking the ball low at the keeper.

Jon Marzetti replaced Woods on 62 minutes.

Dodd received a ball from the right and struck a low shot towards goal but it whizzed widet.

Bellotti ran deep into the Rocks penalty area before firing well over the bar.

Dan Beck had a let-off after giving the ball away in midfield but Stoner managed to prevent any danger.

Wingate were awarded a free-kick in the D on 72 minutes. Thomas stepped up but it rolled wide of the left post.

Crane was booked on 74 minutes after disputing a decision.

Marzetti’s cross flew across the box and Stockford and Dodd’s attempts to reach it narrowly failed.

Andre Scarlett hit a free-kick towards goal but Stoner easily saved on 84 minutes.

Stoner had to make an athletic catch from Wayne O’Sullivan’s shot. Then Thomas went close, bending the ball narrowly over the bar from just outside the box.

The Rocks held on to win their first home league game since January 5 and move back up to 12th in the table - and set themselves up for the visit of Hampton & Richmond on Tuesday night.

ROCKS: Stoner, Kempson, Wollers, Crane, S Pearce, Warren, Beck, Wills, Woods, Dodd, Whyte. Subs: Stockford, Tuck, O Pearce, Marzetti, Boyle.