Rocks Review: Thurrock 1 Rocks 2

Terry Dodd fires a shot in at Thurrock  Picture by Tommy McMillan
Terry Dodd fires a shot in at Thurrock Picture by Tommy McMillan

The Rocks battled back from being one goal down at half-time to run out deserved winners on a heavy and sticky pitch at Thurrock, leaving the home team with major relegation worries.

It left them unbeaten in five games and having chalked up four wins in the first 13 days of April, with hopes of a top-half finish still alive for the 12th-placed Rocks.

An away win seemed unlikely in the first half with Thurrock springing out of the blocks quickly and putting the Bognor defence under severe pressure.

It was no surprise that the home side took the lead in the 18th minute with a low drive into the net by Thurrock`s Ben Smith following a defensive mix-up.

However, Bognor re-grouped and began to work their way back into the game with Terry Dodd causing more and more problems for the home side, and in the 37th minute, very nearly equalising with a fierce shot from the right-hand side of the penalty box which was only inches wide.

The second half started like the first with early Thurrock pressure and it was only some excellent goalkeeping from Bognor`s Craig Stoner that kept them in the game.

Twice in two minutes, Stoner saved from Thurrock`s lively Danny Green - and the Bognor goal was having a charmed life.

Once again, Bognor weathered the storm and exerted pressure of their own with Dodd and Dan Thompson featuring strongly.

It was no more than they deserved when the Rocks got the equaliser in the 70th minute as Sam Pearce squeezed the ball into the net following a Kane Wills corner and a clever flick-on from Thompson.

The game was now there for the taking and Bognor continued to press, and Dodd very nearly grabbed the lead on 78 minutes when

he was put through - only for Wil Viner in the Thurrock goal to save with his legs.

Dodd thought he had scored on 83 minutes only for his effort to be ruled offside.

Bognor’s winning goal came in the 88th minute following a well-taken corner and a fine header from Thompson.

During three minutes of added time, Rocks substitute Daryl Wollers prevented Thurrock grabbing a point when he made a superb tackle on Green to put the ball out to safety.

ROCKS: Stoner, Stockford, Tuck (Cody 59), Crane (Wollers), Warren, S Pearce, Kempson, Wills, Thompson, Dodd, O Pearce. Subs: Kilpartrick, Boyle.


* The Rocks are next in action on Wednesday night when they travel to face their old Ryman one south rivals Met Police.