Third clean sheet in a row – but Rocks are held

Craig Robson helped Bognor to another clean sheet   Picture by Louise Adams
Craig Robson helped Bognor to another clean sheet Picture by Louise Adams

THE Rocks had to settle for a goalless draw against Tonbridge Angels as missed chances proved costly at a windy Nyewood Lane.

Bognor were hoping to follow their impressive 3-0 win at home to Hampton & Richmond Borough on Saturday with a decent result.

The return of club favourite Jason Prior has undoubtedly lifted the team but neither he nor his team-mates could find the breakthough on this occasion.

Young Curtis Da Costa started ahead of Harry Medway in defence and early on he lost the ball just inside Bognor’s half. Billy Medlock played in Tom Parkinson on the left but Parkinson’s cross was deflected into the path of a grateful Chris Winterton.

Bognor’s first real chance came when Ollie Pearce swung a cross in from the right and Prior was on the end of it. The striker’s header just bounced wide of the left post.

Chris Piper swirled in a free-kick from 35 yards and Tommy Whitnell’s powerful header flew past the far post.

Angels captain Lee Carey received a yellow card for a high challenge on Craig Robson on 25 minutes.

On 29 minutes Pearce beat his defender before cutting the ball back for Prior. The striker curled a shot that was destined for the top right corner but a defender was in the way to head it over off the line.

Doug Tuck struck a left-footed shot just wide from outside the box. Then Alex Parsons then did well to reach the ball and control it but his cross came to nothing.

Prior turned provider for Parsons in a counter-attacking move. Parsons won a corner after his shot cannoned off a defender.

Jake Thomson set up Harvey Whyte, who played in Pearce, but the chance went begging. Then Robson’s shot from the corner ricocheted off Prior and ended up in Deren Ibrahim’s arms.

In the second half, Thomson, having a great game for the Rocks, won the ball in midfield and his cross-field ball towards Parsons was decent but the forward mistimed his run.

Whyte floated a ball into the box and Prior’s header was well saved by Ibrahim.

Tavares continued to provide Angels’ main attacking threat down the right but Bognor managed to weather his pace.

Winterton gathered from an attack before starting a move that led to Pearce crossing for Prior. The striker controlled the ball before hitting it into the ground and bouncing it wide.

After good work from Whyte James Crane set up Pearce. His shot from long distance bounced once before being saved comfortably by Ibrahim.

Thomson hit a shot from long distance – forcing a save from Ibrahim. Whyte blasted another shot well over the bar after good work from an impressive Thomson.

The Rocks brought on Stuart Green for Whyte on 72 minutes.

Angels sub Alex Teniola had a golden chance to take a late lead from a cross by James Folkes, but the striker’s first-time strike flew miles over the bar.

Pearce and Parsons teed up Green in the box but his shot bouncedto safety for Tonbridge.

Charlie Slocombe then came on for Folkes, who looked to have suffered a dislocated shoulder. Paramedics were called.

Omarr Lawson replaced Parsons in the 86th minute after a hard-working performance.

In a worrying moment for Bognor, Prior pulled up during a run, meaning he had to be replaced by Josh Warren on 92 minutes. It appeared to be a hamstring injury but the fans will hope it isn’t anything serious.

Rocks: Winterton, Da Costa, Crane, Tuck, Sackman, Robson, Whyte (Green 72), Thomson, Prior (Warren 90), Parsons (Lawson 86), Pearce. Subs: Medway, Warren, Lawson, Branford, Green.