Only ten men - but Bosham youngsters batter Billingshurst

editorial image

There’s news of victories for two Bosham sides and the Rocks youth team in the cup in our round-up of under-18 football.


Billingshurst 0 Bosham Colts 7

Despite having only ten men, Bosham started with purpose and after eight minutes Jordan Evans opened the scoring, beating the offside trap and finishing superbly.

Billingshurst went down to ten men and Bosham’s dominance was confirmed with constant pressure on the opposition goal.

Mitchell Jones was brought down in the area and he converted the penalty, although from the kick-off Billingshurst had a rare attacking move which brought a superb save from James Cox in the Bosham goal.

On the stroke of half-time Charles Wade-Palmer scored number three from a great through-ball by Ryan Grace.

The second half saw Wade-Palmer score on 47 minutes and complete his hat-trick on 63 from a great run and cross by Richene Brown. Jones crossed for Grace to take a well-deserved goal.

Billingshurst had a player brought down in the area, but the penalty was superbly saved by Cox.

Bosham went down to nine as Evans limped off with a calf strain but they sealed an emphatic victory with Wade-Palmer scoring his fourth on 86 minutes.

Man of the match was Brown.

BOSHAM COLTS: James Cox, Jordan Windsor Marvell, Jack Randall, Jack Hardman, Mitchell Jones, Richene Brown, Tim Barton, Ryan Grace, Jordan Evans, Charles Wade-Palmer.

Bosham 5 Highdown Saints 3

Bosham kicked off their season with a fine win over Highdown Saints.

Bosham took a first-minute through Phil Merrick, who had completed a hat-trick by the 25th minute.

Highdown pulled one back before Merrick was brought in the box and James Johnson converted the penalty.

Bosham made it 5-1 after the break when left-back Finn Rehill hit home a low shot from 20 yards

Although Highdown grabbed two more, another chance was well saved by stand-in keeper Charlie Hawes.

Man of the match was Merrick.

Bosham 2 Worthing Rebels 0

In a firmer test for Bosham the first half saw both teams creating chances, with both keepers called into action.

For Bosham, Tyler Todd put in a low cross for Charlie Hawes who shot was well-saved by the Rebels keeper.

Then Jack Antony’s attempt was heading for the top corner but was palmed out by the Rebels keeper.

The game was crying out for a goal and with 20 minutes remaining Bosham broke the deadlock when Phil Merrick took a free-kick 30 yards out which found Tim Callen. His header across goal found Hawes coming in from wide to head home from six yards.

Bosham were playing with their tails up and with eight minutes to go, Antony nutmegged a Rebels defender and put in James Johnson, whose tantalising cross was headed home by star man Callen.

BOSHAM: Will Burch, Finn Rehill, Stu Andrews, Aaron Domblides, Adil, Tim Callen, James Johnson, Jack Antony, Charlie Hawes, Phil Merrick, Tyler Todd. Subs: Callum Fewell, Louis Buntin, Billy Brown.

The Rocks’ under-18s (pictured at the top of this article) beat Maidenbower 2-0 in the Sussex FA Youth Cup. They will visit Three Bridges in round two on Sunday, October 9.