Pompey blunt Daggers

Alex Wynter in action against Dagenham & Redbridge. Picture: Joe Pepler
Alex Wynter in action against Dagenham & Redbridge. Picture: Joe Pepler

Pompey ended their three-game winless run in League Two with a 3-0 success over Dagenham & Redbridge tonight.

A goal in each half from James Dunne and Jed Wallace did the damage to the Daggers before Andy Barcham struck late on.

Dunne ended the 320-minute wait for a goal in the league with a forceful opener five minutes before the break.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men in the second half when Andre Boucaud got a second yellow for a foul on the excellent Pat Agyemang.

Then Wallace put the game out of the Londoners’ reach with 20 minutes left from the penalty spot.

Andy Barcham got the third in stoppage-time to seal a night the Blues got back on track in the league.

Pompey were challenged to start quickly by Andy Awford.

They and the crowd tried everything in their power to do that early on.

Wallace was intercepted as he was about to pull the trigger six yards out after four minutes.

Then Luke Howell forced a fine save out of Paul Jones after 21 minutes, with a 30-yarder.

Wallace lashed a 25-yarder just wide three minutes later.

Pompey nearly made the breakthrough five minutes before the interval with an innocuous shot from Alex Wynter.

Daggers defender Brian Saah stuck a leg out and almost put it in his own net before Mark Cousins saved well.

That mattered little moments later as the Blues got their opener.

It was a mix of silk and steel as Agyemang cleverly teed up Dunne.

Dunne powered forcefully into the box and ripped a unstoppable shot home.

Abu Ogogo was the first to threaten 10 minutes after the restart but Jones denied him from 25 yards.

Then Jack Whatmough cleared off the line as Nathan Green’s cross took a deflection.

A crucial moment followed in the 61st minute when Dagenham were reduced to 10 men.

Boucaud got his second yellow after clattering Agyemang and hurt himself in the process.

That ensured the Daggers lost the impetus they were slowly building.

And Pompey got their killer second after 70 minutes as Matt Patridge fouled Paul Robinson from a corner.

Wallace was the man to coolly step up for his fifth goal of the season.

There was still time for Miles Storey to have a goal chalked off for offside as Pompey enjoyed themselves late on.

Then sub Barcham got the third seconds after replacing Westcarr – as he started and finished a flowing move.

The win puts Pompey on 13 points in ninth place.