Walking wounded Wes pledges to always fight on

Pompey midfielder Wes Fogden Picture: Joe Pepler
Pompey midfielder Wes Fogden Picture: Joe Pepler

Battered Wes Fogden shrugged off his Pompey war wounds and vowed: I will always give my all.

The tireless midfielder hobbled away from Fratton Park on Saturday following a starring role in the 1-0 victory over Hartlepool.

During the performance he damaged ligaments in his knee while winning a fourth-minute penalty and dislodged his front tooth after receiving an elbow.

Fogden had actually been a major doubt heading into the crucial fixture, having felt his hamstring tighten in training the day before.

Regardless, the former Bournemouth man laboured away before being substituted in the 86th minute.

Pompey will now monitor the 25-year-old’s fitness this week in the hope he can be available for this weekend’s visit to Dagenham & Redbridge.

But for Fogden, he is prepared to accept the knocks in doing his duty for Pompey.

He said: ‘I was a little bit tender in a few places after Saturday but you get on with it.

‘You don’t let things like that stop you – there are games to win and as players we have to work hard. It’s the least we can do for the fans.

‘I think when you are out on the pitch the adrenelin gets going and you can get through injuries a bit more than if you do something in training, for example.

‘I got a few different knocks against Hartlepool, but you just carry on.

‘When I won us the penalty I opened up my knee joint a bit. There was a bit of damage to my ligament, I knew there was a problem straight away.

‘Then five minutes into the second half I took an elbow to my face which left me with a wobbly front tooth.

‘The tooth was not in the right position so I had to move it – and straight after the game I had to go to a dentist in Cowplain.

‘With all the traffic about, it took us 45 minutes to get there so I was late. We took all the back streets and tried other ways, too.

‘He has told me as long as it doesn’t go grey or black or something I should be fine.

‘It turned out the hamstring I was concerned about was actually fine during the match!

‘After training on Friday I was struggling for the game a little bit, the hamstring was tight, but it settled down overnight thankfully.

‘Hopefully, touch wood, everything will be okay for Dagenham & Redbridge.’

Fogden has thrived being in the middle of a three-man attacking midfield under caretaker boss Andy Awford.

Against Pools he ran himself into the ground and admitted it was the right decision for him to come off four minutes from time.

‘The more tired you get the worse it is for everybody. So rather than take too much damage, it was the right decision for me and for the team,’ added Fogden.

‘We got the result we all wanted.’