Sport for all: Chichester students #TakeAStand

There were mixed fortunes for University of Chichester teams in ‘Take A Stand’ week.

Thursday, 13th February 2020, 1:00 pm
Updated Thursday, 13th February 2020, 9:00 pm
University of Chichester footballers back the #TakeAStand project / Picture: Kerry Matthew
University of Chichester footballers back the #TakeAStand project / Picture: Kerry Matthew

#TakeAStand is a campaign organised by British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) that aims to make the university sport experience as inclusive and accessible as possible.

The BUCS initiative shares the same values as the sports charter introduced by the government in 2011 to enable everyone to enjoy and participate in sport whoever they are and whatever their background; share a common belief that sport is about fairness and equality, respect and dignity; with a commitment to making these values a reality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people; and to ensure everyone has a voice and that unacceptable behaviour is challenged.

The sports charter is backed by major sporting bodies such as the FA, Lawn Tennis Association and England and Wales Cricket Board.

Chichester netballers back #TakeAStand

University of Chichester Sports Federation president Stephen Dimmock said: “The Take A Stand campaign is about raising awareness to tackle homophobia, transphobia and biphobia in sport. We offer free rainbow laces and rainbow stickers for those that take part in sport at the university in Take A Stand week.

“The students are asked to sign our Take A Stand board to show that we stand against any form of biphobia, homophobia or transphobia in sport.”

The women’s football first team and women’s rugby were involved in cup action. Loughborough crushed the women’s XV in the last 16 of the trophy but the footballers pulled off a dramatic comeback win at home to advance to the quarter-finals at the expense of Brunel.

The visitors took the lead in the first half of extra time after it finished 1-1 after 90 minutes. Laura Barton equalised for Chichester from the spot and captain Payton Howard grabbed a late winner to set up a last eight trophy encounter away to Nottingham.

The women’s football second team lost 3-0 to Sussex ones in the league.

In men’s football, the twos faced league leaders Portsmouth and Olly Kershaw crossed in a delightful ball, but striker Zac Felbabel sent his header over the bar. Portsmouth scored against the run of play on 21 minutes through Louie Gilpin.

Ollie MacArthur set up Rafael Santos for a chance to equalise, but he couldn’t keep his shot down.

Harvey Wright and Santos caused problems after the break. Wright tried to divert a wayward Tom Bickley shot then showed wonderful skill only to have his shot blocked.

The hosts equalised in the 81st minute, Wright tussling with his marker before shifting the ball past him, splitting the defence with a pass to Felbabel, who struck a finish into the bottom corner.

Portsmouth’s next attack resulted in the winner six minutes from time. A cutback from the right wing was met by Dylan Riches who curled a shot into the top corner to stun the home team.

The threes travelled to Kingston ones with no recognised keeper in the matchday squad so defensive midfielder Ricki Miles had to tgo between the sticks.

The away side were dominant and took the lead when Dan Poynter’s clearance from a Kingston corner sent Alex Weinberger through on goal and the forward calmly slotted in.

Chichester captain Cam Russell hit the post before Weinberger’s rebound was blocked on the line. Weinberger doubled the advantage in the second half after nice build-up play between Russell and Liam Conolly.

Midfielder Louis Rendall put the game to bed as his effort from the edge of the area found the bottom corner.

Adam Rayner, Nathaniel Lancaster-Robinson and Jack Martin got on the scoresheet for the fives away at King’s College but the home side edged a seven-goal thriller.

A win over second-placed Brighton gave the fours three precious points thanks to Kieran Thomas and an own goal.

Elsewhere, Chi’s women’s basketball are still unbeaten in the league following a 103-49 defeat of Kingston.

Men’s hockey ones and twos lost to Reading and Brunel respectively while the women’s team won a close encounter with Royal Holloway 4-3.

Netball two and fours picked up wins over Brighton but Surrey got the better of the threes.

Chi’s ultimate frisbee team are second in the league following a narrow 13-12 defeat of Sussex.

In tennis, the women’s team beat Royal Holloway 8-4 while the men’s match with Portsmouth ended 6-6.

The men’s volleyball got back to winning ways with a straight-sets victory over Queen Mary.

Royal Holloway, second in South Eastern Tier 2, inflicted a heavy first league defeat of the season on men’s lacrosse. The women’s team lost a close one with Brighton 10-9.

Reports by Jay Rowland, Cam Russell and Ian Worden