Wombles have given Pompey little joy

Since AFC Wimbledon's arrival into the Football League, Pompey have endured an awful record in head-to-head encounters.

Tuesday, 26th April 2016, 12:00 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 6:38 pm
Ryan Taylor netted the winner against the Wombles in 2014

The Blues have won only one of the five previous matches and have never taken a point at Kingsmeadow.

Here’s a look at clashes between the sides.

Wimbledon 4 Pompey 0

November 16, 2013

Pompey’s first Football League visit to Kingsmeadow ended in an embarrassing defeat which hastened the exit of then boss Guy Whittingham.

The Blues went in 1-0 down at the break, yet a late capitulation saw three goals in the final 16 minutes.

Michael Smith, then on-loan from Charlton, netted in an impressive display by the hosts.

Pompey 1 Wimbledon 0

February 15, 2014

Ryan Taylor scored a second-half goal in a rare victory during Richie Barker’s reign in charge at Fratton Park.

The striker met on-loan Daniel Alfei’s right-wing cross with a looping header for his third in seven matches.

There were testing times when Alan Bennett’s point-blank header was saved and Luke Moore’s shot was cleared off the line, but Pompey held on to claim victory.

Pompey 0 Wimbledon 2

December 26, 2014

It was a miserable Boxing Day for Andy Awford’s side as they slumped to a Fratton Park defeat to the Wombles.

Former loanee Frankie Sutherland opened the scoring, while Matt Tubbs made it 2-0 after 17 minutes.

Tubbs would sign for the Blues two weeks later, yet on this occasion helped Ardley’s side to a comfortable win.

Wimbledon 1 Pompey 0

March 21, 2015

Ben Chorley’s sixth-minute own goal condemned Pompey to another miserable day at Kingsmeadow.

He sliced Craig Tanner’s cross into his own net as the hosts leapfrogged over Andy Awford’s side into 12th spot in the table.

The visitors, who had given debuts to Cole Kpekawa and Nyron Nosworthy, unfortunately had no response.

Pompey 0 Wimbledon 0

November 15, 2015

The most recent encounter between the sides was a bore televised draw in which neither deserved to win.

The fixture marked Marc McNulty’s full debut, yet the game finished deadlocked at Fratton Park.