Cuestars swansong brings cheer for Charlton

Jon Charlton with some of his Cuestars silverware
Jon Charlton with some of his Cuestars silverware

IT WAS the perfect way to end three remarkable seasons on a regional snooker circuit.

Jon Charlton. one of the most popular cueists on the Cuestars South of England Championship Tour, has completed a unique hat-trick of rankings titles.

And he brought the curtain down on the 2013/14 campaign with a dramatic first tournament win since January last year.

Charlton – who plays his snooker at Selsey Royal British Legion – said: “I had set out to win three titles in a row at the beginning of the season. I’m really pleased to keep my title and winning the penultimate event was a great way to do it.”

The 35-year-old progressed through the group stages in the sixth leg at Jesters Snooker Hall, Swindon, but was pushed all the way by rankings runner-up Martin Wallace (Reading) in the last-four.

“You always know you will have a tough match against Martin,” explained Charlton. “He got off to the perfect start, going 2-0 up, but then I managed to play well and turn the match around to win 3-2.”

He was then forced to produce his best snooker of the day to end an inspired performance by teenager Ollie Parsons in the final.

Parsons, playing on home tables, took a 2-1 lead and compiled a 58 break in the fourth frame of the best-of-five match.

After Charlton had replied with a 30-plus effort, his 16-year-old opponent potted the last red but went ‘in-off’ the match-ball black. Charlton, 26 points behind, cleared the six colours to take the game into a decider which he won with ease.

The three-time champion, who lives in Surrey, said: “I was really impressed with how Oliver played and I produced my best snooker of the day to win the last two frames.”

Charlton kicked off the 2013/14 season last October with a 3-1 defeat by Welsh star Callum Lloyd in the final at Swindon.

The following month he took over top spot following a semi-final appearance in Newbury.

A quarter-final exit at the hands of Jonjo Sharkey in Swindon in January shaved back his lead but he maintained his push for a historic third title by reaching the last-four in Woking and Salisbury.