Darts: Ace Mace pairs up with Wyatt to Nick title

editorial image

The Friday Night Summer League divisional pairs knockouts take place at the Bognor British Legion and a pleasing total of 74 players turned up.

Thirteen pairs competed for the division-one title.

Into the first semi-final went Andy Stubbs and Pat O’Hara (Chi Snooker B) and Andy Cooke and Sam Abrehart (POW Z). Stubbs and O’Hara were in flying form and took out the hot pairing from POW.

The second semi saw father-and-son team Roger and Ian Hackett (Wheatsheaf) take on Colin Mace and Nick Wyatt (POW Z). The Hacketts just missed out on doubles and waved goodbye to their chances.

The final between Stubbs and O’Hara and Mace and Wyatt resulted in the Chichester pair not having enough, allowing Mace and Wyatt to take the title.

In the division-two contest, 13 more pairings turned up to bid for glory.

The first semi saw Dave Juniper and Gary Blackwood (Claremont Cobras) take on Dave Wingate and Esme Davis (Friary D). Wingate and Davis couldn’t stop the Claremont paring from getting into the final.

The second semi saw Peter Hall and Arthur Clark (Chi Snooker A) come up against Tim McCarthy (Friary C) and Doreen Hayler (Richmond Rebels).

Despite Hayler moving up from division three to partner a division-two player, Hayler and McCarthy gave them a good run for their money but their doubles deserted them.

Hall and Clark pushed Juniper and Blackwood in the final but couldn’t hit their doubles.

The division-three competition featured 11 pairs – more than last year. In the first semi-final Steve Aizlewood and Joe Osman (BRSA B) took on Keith Robinson and Mark Hatton (Chi Snooker C).

A close-fought game between both pairs gave Aizlewood and Osman a chance but they didn’t take it.

The second semi saw more Chi Snooker C teams take on each other, this time Adi Linfield and Tom Spencer on one side and George Knight and Nathan Warren on the other.

Knight and Warren found their doubles to make it through.

In the final there were tons on both sides and the game went to the third leg before victory went to Robinson and Hatton.