Hockey: Chichester make it sweet 16 in two games

Chichester’s men’s first XI continued their good start to the season by making it 16 goals in two games. Here’s a report from that match and a round-up of the rest of the local hockey action.

Staines 2 Chichester 7

South open premier div one

Staines were top of the league after two matches - but after a 9-0 win over Eastbourne a week earlier, Chichester were confident they could get a result.

The game started at a fast tempo with both sides looking threatening.

Chichester had the best of the early chances with Steve Spear seeing his drag flick well saved by the Staines keeper and Jack Lerwill’s effort going just wide after a good interchange with Alex Baxter.

Chichester made the breakthrough midway through the first half when a good team goal which saw Bejay Ranger slot in his first of the season.

They were rewarded again when Alex Baxter’s neat deflection found the top corner to take his side in 2-0 at half-time.

Chichester started the second half well, and after being awarded a dubious penalty, found themselves 3-0 up when Martin Gough coolly slotted home.

Another Baxter goal followed only to be disallowed after consultation between the umpires, and Staines broke to score moments later to make it 3-1.

Staines continued to pile on the pressure and Dan Godsmark made a couple of good saves while Spear cleared well more than once.

Chichester stepped up through the gears and fantastic counter-attacking hockey saw Andrew Sparshott add two, Alex Thakore one and Ranger his second to make it 7-1.

A late consolation from Staines completed the scoring but their afternoon got worse when one of their players received a red card.

Chichester entertain Sevenoaks at 1.30pm this Saturday at Kingsham school looking to continue their good start.

CHICHESTER: Godsmark, Matthews, Henn, Spear, McLaughlin, Blakesley, Thakore, Lerwill, Holton, Ranger, Sparshott, Gough, Baxter, Robinson.

Chichester II v Fareham II

Chichester started on the attack but Fareham countered well down the right, driving into the Chichester D and pulling the ball back for an easy tap-in.

Chichester were 1-0 down but it was against the run of play. Chichester were unfazed and stayed solid at the back while making progress towards the opposition goal.

Neil Pendle enjoyed a fine game in centre midfield and deflected a great ball from James Lunn into the Fareham goal to make it 1-1.

Despite Chichester enjoying the majority of possession, Fareham were strong up front and made it 2-1 before half-time through a penalty corner.

Excellent defending by Chichester and good work in goal by John Gotham kept Fareham at bay. Tom O’Boyle failed to feed the ball to Neil Pendle, who would have scored with ease.

Their hard work paid off as Ben Hansford scored at the back post.

Chichester went for the win and got a penalty corner as the final whistle blew. All ten men circled the Fareham D and went agonisingly close, but the ball trickled past the post.

CHICHESTER: Gotham, Dougal, Beales, Brook, Gammon, Garret, Pendle, Lunn, Lane-Smith, O’Boyle, Strudwick, Hansford, Martin.

Crowborough Ladies 6 Chichester Centurions 3

Crowborough applied pressure on the defence from the outset but were unable to convert five short corners.

Despite clearing numerous shots, Centurions were unable to stop a strong Crowborough strike.

Centurions were awarded a penalty flick after a shot was blocked by Louise Thew but it was saved by the Crowborough keeper.

Crowborough swiftly scored again but Claire Mealing and Thew combined to pull it back to 2-1.

As the rain and hail poured down, Centurions repelled another four short corners but were unable to stop Crowborough’s superior passing resulting in two further goals.

Mealing and Thew responded by converting a short corner. Crowborough scored again but Thew’s shot was struck home. Vicki Wake made several dramatic saves on the goal-line while Chantelle Strudwick repeatedly cleared the ball from danger.

A final Crowborough strike made the final score 6-3. Centurions look forward to their home game against Hailsham this week.

CENTURIONS: Thew, Dixon, Eames, Brooker, Edge, Mealing, Brown, Strudwick, Johnstone, Williams, Wake, Hurford.

Chichester Ladies PP 4 Horsham IV 1

Chichester were feeling upbeat after two wins on the trot and wanted to make it three.

Horsham have a lot of depth in their club and are always tough opposition.

Chichester put themselves under immense pressure but Horsham could not capitalise on the home side’s mistakes.

Chi got their act together and started to make progress with some great work by Josephine Arke in midfield. With Chichester attacking, a Horsham defender cleared the ball illegally with the back of her stick - leading to an award of a penalty flick. Arke stepped up and converted it.

Horsham pressed and the Chi defence had strayed, and Horsham equalised.

After half-time Chi spread the play and took advantage of gaps in the opposition’s half.

This meant Chi could get into their D and they were awarded a penalty corner. After battling through several corners Floor Van der Stap shot from the top of the circle to make it 2-1.

Chichester soon gained the upper hand. A change in routine on another corner gave Lindsey Hudson the opportunity to score from just inside the D into the bottom corner.

As Horsham’s fitness started to fall away, Chi had another corner from which Tracy Austin scored, a hard strike that went through the goalie’s pads.

CHICHESTER: Young, Austin, Howarth, Strang, Chaplin, Banks, Kuntze, Arke, Hudson, Benison, Greenlees, Greenway, Van Der Stap.

Horsham IV 0 Chichester Ladies II 8

Chichester made light work of a Horsham team who lacked attacking talent and bite.

Chichester were playing with the bare 11 players and the warm conditions didn’t stop them taking full advantage of the opposition.

Sarah Jessop showed the class that has seen her make the southern veterans’ team, with a five-goal spectacular, using her favoured, lethal reverse-stick strike for three.

Sally Thew scored two and superbly assisted Sarah Jessop in her fifth. With a combination of Jessop and Thew, along with Tina Finn, Chichester have a formidable attack.

In midfield, newly-capped England vet Kim Howarth showed skilful work weaving round the opposition. Howarth was at the centre of a controversial goal early in the second half, when she sent a searing pass into the D only for the goalkeeper to nudge it into her own net. With the recent rule change, the goal stood.

With 90 per cent of the match spent as a spectator, Ruth Duckers pulled out a fabulous save in the second half, diving to the ground to stop a shot and then palming the ball away.

Horsham IV 4 Chichester Chipmunks 8

Sussex open divsion three

A sloppy opening saw Chichester exposed at the back and Horsham take the lead. Stunned Chichester fought back to level through a well-worked penalty corner before Horsham once again took the lead.

From that point, Chichester did not look back. With Lowther drawing the teams level before two goals in as many minutes saw Chichester draw ahead.

Chichester’s fourth summed up their play, with Sturdy and Creswick combining. Cool Andrew Creswick unselfishly drew the keeper’s challenge and slipped the ball to Toby Hindmarsh, who slotted home.

In the second half an avalanche of goals saw Chichester out of sight long before the final whistle. Sturdy’s hard running was rewarded with a hat-trick and Craig Hindmarsh thrashed a goal and picked up another from a penalty corner.

CHIPMUNKS: Hetherington, Gleeson T, Stemp, Gleeson J, Woodruff, Kathegesu, Hindmarsh T, Hindmarsh C, Lowther, Sturdy, White, Creswick A, Creswick R.

Chichester under-12 girls notched a momentous victory in the sun at Worthing.

After a tense 0-0 draw against Horsham B, Chichester faced a setback against a buoyant East Grinstead, losing 2-0. A gap in the schedule allowed Chichester to regroup and run out fine 2-1 winners against Worthing, with goals from Daisy Lock and Rachel Trent.

Chichester finished second in their group to progress.

A draw against Horsham A saw them meet Mid Sussex. Chichester hung on tightly with Charlotte Stemp providing stirling protection to Rhianna Batchelor in goal, and the pace of Tabitha Trent always a threat.

Chichester created chances on the break with Katie Rose scoring in the final moments of the game to secure a 1-0 win after Trent and Trend combined on the right.

Chichester needed a point in their final game against a determined East Grinstead team. Chichester went out seeking revenge for their earlier loss.

Tenancious tackling from Stemp and Emily Stone saw Chichester get the result that they needed to win the tournament in only their second outing.

CHICHESTER: Batchelor, Stemp, Savory, Lock, Trent, Gleeson, Trend, Stone, Rose, Ayling.