Selsey launch another boss hunt as Hinshelwood quits

Adam Hinshelwood has resigned as Selsey FC manager for a second time - citing a lack of commitment from players as one of his reasons.

Thursday, 21st November 2013, 2:10 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 8:43 pm
Adam Hinshelwood, who has resigned as manager of Selsey FC Picture by Chris Hatton

It was the former Brighton, Wycombe and Aldershot defender’s second spell at the High Street Ground outfit and his team had shown encouraging signs of a much higher-placed finish this season in division one of the Sussex League.

But he told club bosses he wanted to go - and they accepted his resignation, albeit with reluctance.

A statement from the club said: “Selsey Football Club have today received, and reluctantly accepted Adam Hinshelwood’s resignation as the Club’s first-team manager.

“Adam has advised the club that he is stepping down from the position because of recent poor results, a lack of commitment from players and personal reasons.

“He advised the chairman he felt it to be the right decision and has resigned with immediate effect. He wishes the club all the best for the remainder of the season and in the future.

“The position of first-team manager is now vacant and applications for the position are being invited. Anybody who is interested in the vacancy should contact the chairman David Lee c/o 72 St Peters Crescent, Selsey, Chichester, West Sussex, PO20 0NP.”

Hinshelwood’s departure comes just five days after one of the disappointing results he spoke out - a 2-0 league loss at Lancing - and two days after Selsey lost 1-0 at Broadbridge Heath in the RUR Cup.

Two late goals from Ryan Waterman cost weakened Selsey side a point.

The Blues went into the game without six first-team players including top scorer, Rob Wimble, who was recently released from hospital following a severe case of asthma.

Hinshelwood felt the result was slightly harsh, saying after the game: “The result was definitely disappointing because it was a fairly even game.

“It was only going to take an odd goal to separate the teams and after they got the first one we went and tried to pull one back and got hit with the second - the result flattered them a bit.

“But I will have to take some of the criticism for changing the tactics and trying to win the game when a point would have been a good result away from home. It was a learning curve for us.”

Lancing’s Josh Spinks saw his glancing header go wide early on but Selsey’s attractive football soon began to produce results.

The Blues began to dominate possession and forced a terrific double save from Lancing keeper James Shaw shortly after the quarter-hour mark.

Selsey continued their first-half form after the restart and had several half chances but failed to find an opening without the prowess of Wimble.

Lancing then hit the away side with a smooth counter attack just seven minutes from time when a clever ball from Will Conway left Waterman with time to slot past the Selsey keeper.

Waterman doubled his tally a minute later when Owen Callaghan’s lay-off allowed the midfielder to rifle the ball into the top corner.

The Blues now look forward to a home game against second-from-bottom Hailsham this weekend.

Asked if Wimble could return, Hinshelwood replied: “It’s doubtful. Rob is an important player for us but he has been in hospital for a while so I don’t want to rush him back too soon, I think Shoreham the week after is a more realistic target.”