Chichester Festival Theatre’s production of Sweeney Todd has scooped five prizes at the Whatsonstage awards.
Its stars, Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton, each took the top gong at the awards, which were announced on Sunday, February 17.
“We are absolutely delighted with this achievement,” said Chichester Festival Theatre’s executive director, Alan Finch. “Not only did we receive six awards, but we received 18 nominations in total, including three in the Best Musical Revival category alone, which is testimony to the incredible talent and dedication of everyone involved in these productions.”
The production, which was first staged during Festival 2011, before transferring to the West End’s Adelphi Theatre in 2012, won the following categories:
- Best Actress in a Musical: Imelda Staunton - Sweeney Todd at the Adelphi Theatre
- Best Actor in a Musical: Michael Ball – Sweeney Todd at the Adelphi Theatre
- Best Musical Revival: Sweeney Todd at the Adelphi Theatre
- Best Director: Jonathan Kent – Sweeney Todd at the Adelphi Theatre
- Best Lighting Designer: Mark Henderson – Sweeney Todd at the Adelphi Theatre
Singin’ in the Rain, another Chichester Festival Theatre production, directed by Chichester’s artistic director Jonathan Church, was also among the award-winners when Andrew Wright took the price for Best Choreographer.