Adults and children rescued at Selsey Bill after being cut off by tide

The coastguard rescue six adults and children who were cut off by tide at Selsey Bill.

Monday, 14th September 2020, 7:38 am
Updated Monday, 14th September 2020, 7:42 am
Picture: Selsey RNLI Lifeboat Station

The Selsey RNLI inshore lifeboat was called at 3.22pm on Sunday (September 13) after receiving several emergency calls reporting the people stranded on Kirk Arrow shingle bank located on the west side of Selsey Bill.

Selsey lifeboat said the inshore lifeboat (ILB) launched at 3.29pm and the crew was told that a paddle boarder connected to the group was in trouble.

As the ILB rounded Selsey Bill the lifeboat crew could see the people on Kirk Arrow and, within seconds, one crewman spotted the paddleboard and the person in the water.

A spokesman said: "The ILB headed to the casualty and on arrival saw a man struggling in the water. After the man was recovered to the ILB the Helmsman said they would drop him off at the beach close to kirk Arrow where the Selsey Coastguard rescue team were. The man said his children were on Kirk Arrow and he had asked to borrow the board to go and get them but the board started sinking so he decided to swim for shore. The Helmsman decided to continue to Kirk Arrow with the man on board.

"On arrival at the shingle bank they found the two children who were very pleased to see their father and four adults and a board. The four adults had swam and paddle boarded out to the bank to help the two children, the ILB arrive before they could assist them back to shore. The Helmsman asked the four adults to remain on the bank while the father and children were transported back to the beach where the Selsey Coastguards were waiting. With the tide starting to run hard between the shore and the bank the ILB returned to pick up the four adults and their board.

"With one person rescued from the water and six people recovered from Kirk Arrow the ILB the ILB returned to recover the board the father was on and returned it to the beach.

"At 3.54pm the ILB was released from the incident by UK Coastguards to return to station.The ILB returned to station at 3.58pm and was recovered washed down refuelled and made ready for service. The crew today were Helmsman Sam Corcoran –Smith, Craig Sergeant and Max Wiseman."