Sussex heads to polls for EU referendum today
Sussex heads to the polls today as the country decides whether to leave or remain in the EU.
Polling stations opened at 7am and will close at 10pm and after that counting will begin at 283 local centres across the UK.
These results will be declared before being collated at 12 regional centres, one of which is based in Southampton, with an overall result announced at Manchester Town Hall early on Friday morning.
According to the Electoral Commission the earliest Sussex count could be completed by 2.30am with the latest estimated for 7am.
Our websites will be providing constant coverage of the results as they come in overnight, including comment, analysis and reaction from across Sussex.
The eligible electorate is estimated at a provisional 46,499,537 people, according to the Electoral Commission.
Its voter information site contains information on:
- The wording of the question on the ballot paper
- The contact details for your local authority, who will be able to advise on the location of your polling station if you’ve misplaced your poll card
- Who is eligible to take part in the referendum
- Links to information from the two lead campaign organisations
- The answers to frequently asked questions
It is also possible to download additional copies of the information booklet that the commission sent to all households in May from the website.
There is also a helpline (0800 3 280 280) for those not able to access the internet or who want to speak to an advisor.
The Electoral Commission is also advising voters not to take photos inside the polling station as they could potentially breach the secrecy of the ballot requirements.
Anyone who wants to take a selfie can do this outside the polling station.
Share your thoughts with us on social media throughout the night or email opinions and reactions to our newsdesk.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.