Bognor slip to defeat despite taking lead at Haringey

Bognor suffered their first league defeat of the season at Haringey as Jordy Mongoy's opening goal was cancelled out by a penalty by Roman Michael-Percil and a goal  by Laste Dombaxe.

Saturday, 26th September 2020, 7:35 pm
Updated Saturday, 26th September 2020, 7:37 pm
Jordy Mongoy threatens for the Rocks at Haringey - he scored in their 2-1 defeat / Picture: Martin Denyer

It leaves the Rocks with only one point from their opening two games - a disappointing return after they had led in both. They will need to pick themselves up in time for Tuesday's first Sussex derby of the campaign, at Horsham

Sam Dowridge was out injured at Coles Road but Jake Flannigan got his first start in the league and Ashton Leigh and Brad Lethbridgewere fit to start.

Flannigan and Mongoy set up an early chance for Lethbridge but a defender got there first to head it out. Keaton Wood played in Alfie Stanley but goalkeeper Jonathan Miles, who initially spilled it, gathered the loose ball.

Dombaxe found a loose ball from a defensive header from Ethan Robb, who was back in defence with Joe Cook banned. Dombae struck it from around 25 yards out but it was over.

Roman Michael-Percil and David Olufemi set up Daniel Akindayini for the hosts but he sliced it high over the bar on 12 minutes. Tommy Leigh combined with Mongoy in a one-two but Leigh hit the side netting from a very tight angle. Amadou Tangara saved at his near post from Olufemi. Harvey Whyte saw a shot blocked bravely by a defender on 23 minutes.

Bognor led on 27 minutes - Tommy Leigh chipped a ball into the heart of the area for Mongoy, who rose highest to nod it low into the net.

Wood denied Alfred Bobson Bawling when he was was set through. Dombaxe capitalised on Bognor losing the ball but fired it wide on 40 minutes.

Scott Durojaiye forced a save from Tangara three minutes before the break.

Calvin Davies played it out wide to Ashton Leigh. He chipped it into the area but Mongoy couldn’t capitalise.

Stanley and Mongoy each might have made it 2-0 in a spell of Rocks presssure just before the break. HT 0-1

Haringey were level on 56 minutes. Akindayini shot low at goal and Tangara scooped it off the line but Davies was deemed to have fouled a player in the box in the follow-up and the referee pointed straight to the spot. Michael-Percil stepped up to smash the penalty down the middle and high into the net.

Will Stone replaced Stanley on 60 minutes.

Akindayini sent an effort over the bar on 63 minutes. Bobson Bawling had a shot deflected into Tangara's arms. Flannigan caught Bobson Bawling and was shown a yellow card on 68 minutes. Georgios Aresti ran past two Bognor defenders before whipping the ball across the face of goal on 70 minutes.

On 74 minutes Bognor gave the ball away out of defence as Durojaiye played it square to Dombaxe, who beat another Bognor defender before shooting low beyond Tangara.

Whyte fouled Durojaiye on the touchline and was booked. Olufemi reacted, clearly shoving Whyte to the ground off the ball with two hands. Olufemi got away with only a yellow card.

Kieran Rowe replaced Lethbridge on 86 minutes and joined Mongoy, then Ben Mendoza replaced Tommy Leigh.

Mongoy sent in a low cross in but Rowe wasn’t well-placed to receive it. Robb slid in late on Aresti and went into the book four minutes into stoppage time as Bognor ran out of time to salvage a point.

Rocks: Tangara, Davies, A Leigh, Whyte (c), Robb, Wood, Stanley (Stone 60), Flannigan, Mongoy, T Leigh (Mendoza 90), Lethbridge (Rowe 86). Subs not ysed: Lis, Baker.