Pebbles get better of Lion Cubs for Sussex Cup progress

Bognor’s under-18s won a cup thriller against Pagham. Read about that and all the other youth football in our weekly round-up - and get involved by sending your reports and team pictures to [email protected]

Sunday, 18th January 2015, 7:58 am
Bognor's under-18s beat Pagham in an extra-time thriller


Bognor 4 Pagham 3 (aet)

County Cup QF

A unbelievable county cup tie in front of around 200 fans at Nyewood Lane proved a real thriller.

With both teams top of their leagues, it looked bound to be a cracker – and so it proved.

Weather conditions played a part as Pagham took a deserved 3-1 lead at half-time. But Bognor, aka the Pebbles, fought back to level at 3-3 and they won it in extra-time.

Pagham youth management team Tom Simmonds and Will Searle were proud to see their side go so close to beating their local rivals. Two up within ten minutes, the Lions controlled the early exchanges, Connolly and Nathan Ediker giving the Lions a deserved lead.

Mepham pulled a goal back for the Rocks and the heroics of Ben Richer in the Lions goal kept the away side ahead and Josh Irish’s superb strike gave the Lions a 3-1 lead at the break.

Bognor came out the stronger at the start of the second period, and Archie Awcock got Bognor’s second. It was left until the very last minute for Pagham’s resistance to be broken as George Cody hit an equaliser with the final whistle looming.

In extra-time, Mepham finally supplied the winner to leave Bognor Youth bosses Dan Cox and Luke Cooper celebrating a place in the semi-finals, which will see them host Lewes on Sunday, February 1.

BOGNOR: McApline, Hayes, Hawker, Rowland, Warren, Atkinson, Ashmore, Mendoza, Killams, Mepham, Cody. Subs used: Awcock, Heffron, Rowlatt.

PAGHAM: Richer, Selby, Holmes, J Greenslade, Hendricks, Marsh, Editker, Connelly, Crouch, Irish, D Greenslde. Subs used: Stanley, Cleall, Williams.


Predators 5 Worthing Rebels 0

Predators lined up with three centre-backs and, with Matt Morris in commanding form at the centre of defence, looked comfortable limiting Worthing to a handful of half chances.

The Predators midfield of Josh Simmonds, Dom Humphries and Tommy Sanctuary dominated, keeping Worthing on the defensive throughout. Worthing defended well but the pressure told as Jacob Carroll opened the scoring before half-time.

For the second half, Alex Burford pushed out on to the right wing and produced a string of crosses from which first Dom Humphries headed home and then Carroll effectively sealed the game with his second.

Jacob Hanslip heading against the bar before Carroll completed his hat trick. Just before the end Alex Burford hit the post with a left-footed volley and forced home the rebound.

PREDATORS: Fellowes, Bingham, Brayfield, Burford, Carroll, Daniels, Donner, Hanslip, Humphries, Morris, Sanctuary, Simmonds, Williams.


Worthing Dynamos 0 Chichester City Colts 11

Colts made the first of four trips to Worthing in the next couple of months for this A division fixture – and ran out handsome winners.

Sam Jones was back in the squad after injury.

Jack Angell hit the Dynamos crossbar in the tenth minute and went one better a minute later when he struck a sweet left-footed strike that flew over the keeper into the top corner.

Jones hit a cracking effort just wide but soon Toby Evans found Craddock with a long pass and the in-form striker sidefooted the ball over the keeper and in.

In the 23rd minute Colts brought on Taylor Parker, Rock Rochester, Hayden Newton and James Nicol.

Winger Angell beat the full-back and crossed to Tom Main to stab home Colts’ third.

Captain Evans set up Parker to run free of the defence and slot past the keeper.

When Dynamos did get behind the Colts’ back-line, Sam Williams swept up well.

Colts added thereir fifth when Evanslatched on to a clearance and hit a great effort from the edge of the area.

Jack Jones, Sam Jones, Simmonds and Watkins came on and Sam Jones played in Parker to add his second.

Nicol played in Watkins who squared to Parker to complete his sixth hat-trick of the season.

Angell pounced on a clearance and from just inside the area hit an unstoppable shot across the face of the goal and in. Two minutes later the impressive Watkins beat two defenders and teed up Newton for his first goal of the season.

Watkins squared the ball to Parker to thrash home his fourth.

A corner by MoM Angell led to a goalmouth scramble and a handball and penalty award. Colts new penalty taker is keeper Williams, who converted it.

COLTS: Williams, J Jones, W Parker, Simmonds, Hamblin, Main, Angell, S Jones, Evans, Craddock, Watkins, Rochester, T Parker, Newton, Nicol.


Bognor Regis Town Youth 4 Crawley Town Boys 2

A fine performance from Bognor saw Crawley’s unbeaten league run come to an end.

The visitors took an early lead but Bognor equalised quickly with a good finish from Bradley Stroud. Crawley scored again from a header only for Bognor to again level again through Bruce Eggleton, so it was 2-2 at half-time.

Bognor started the second half well and went 3-2 up with Stroud’s second of the match. The Crawley keeper made some great saves but

Stroud completed his hat-trick to make the final score 4-2.

BOGNOR: Boyagian, Budge, Eggleton, Fearns, Gilbert-Jones, Jones, Kitowski, Lush, Parr, Stroud, Taylor, Tilbury.