Firefighters called to '˜smoking' water main
A fire crew responded to reports of a smoking underground water main in Crane Street, Chichester this morning, West Sussex Fire and Rescue has confirmed.
‘Fumes and smell and burning’ were reported at 8.42am from a grating near a property in the street, a fire spokesman said.
Firefighters were seen speaking to shopkeepers in the road but no smoke was visible on the crew’s arrival.
A fire service spokesman said crews remained on site to monitor the situation until engineers arrived from power network SSE at around 10am.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.